Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What help can I get?

My daughter's father and I do nothing but argue. I think I want to leave him. Right now I just work part-time and I have no money - in fact, I'm overdrawn in my checking account. I have huge credit card debt that I have to pay each month as well as a car payment. I'm going job-hunting today, but it could be months before I find something. Is there anything, like government assistance, available to help me get on my feet on my own? I don't think my parents will let me move back in with them and I don't really have any friends left anymore. I don't know what to do, but I'm sick of being miserable.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • Won't he help you until you get on your feet? I mean yes your seperating but he basically takes care of you right? I know my SO would help me get on my feet..just a thought.

    Answer by cdogdevon at 9:17 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • I don't really have a great answer for that question. All I have to say is that I have been there before, except my parents let me back in their house. If you ever need to chat just look me up, beccause I know what you are going through.

    Answer by nvywife618 at 9:20 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • actually you can you get apply for food stamps n if you have kids you can get child care assistance. and here in ga they have a job placement course where they help you get a job and help with interviews and resumes all that

    Answer by sexyred8106 at 11:45 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • I am a single mom... and i have Wic.. and medicade for me and my daughter and thats a BIG help... i'm looking for work as well...but you can also apply for houseing through social services...and depending on your situation they can pay up to all of your rent... that might be somthing to look in to... *shrugs* if you need a sholder send me a Email =) hope all works out for you chik!!!!!!!!Keep your head up everything will work out!

    Answer by Sweet_nothings at 12:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • I think the best thing to do is to contact your local Social Services Office. Around where I live they help out single moms a lot. They assist in finding a place to live, child care expenses, food stamps and more. You should call them now. Also, he should give you child support for his daughter. If he does not want to do it you can always take him to court.

    Answer by Prwdmommy at 12:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

  • There are good debt management programs out there for the credit card debt you have. They'll go over your budget with you and figure out what you can afford to pay every month. You should try that. It will totally help you get on your feet.

    Answer by feesharose at 4:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.