• In the Spotlight:

How many times a day should I breastfeed my almost 4 month old baby? I am exclusively breastfeeding, no solid foods yet, any scheduled feeding ideas?

I am exclusively breastfeeding her now, no solid foods, I am working on establishing a routine, she's been eating on demand very frequently sofar, trying to work out a "plan." Please, any advice is helpful.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would NOT recommend a schedule. Scheduled feedings for BF babies is the number 1 reason for low milk supply & bad weight gain in infants. We experienced this when I had my daughter on a 3 hour feeding schedule & she completely stopped gaining weight, & my milk supply was very close to being gone. I'm lucky I caught it in time to save it.

BFing is NOT to be scheduled, sorry! I have learned to make a schedule around her feedings. She has two "meals"(solids) a day at the same time, & two naps a day at the same time.

Try to wake up at the same time every day, give her naps at the same time everyday, establish good naptime & bedtime routines, & do the same activites at the same times every day, just feed her when she wants to eat, & at some point you may begin to see her forming a feeding schedule of her own.

Six feedings in a 24 hour period should be the minimum for a breastfed baby.

Good luck!
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 11:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Babies should nurse on demand until they are done nursig. AT LEAST until they are 1 they should be able to nurse on demand.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• TRY FEEDING THE BABY EVERY 3 TO 4 HRS AND SEE HOW MUCH THE BABY WANTS TO EAT AND GO FROM THERE... BUT DONT WAKE THE BABY UP FOR MEALS..... THEN THE BABY WILL BE IN A ROUTINE
    Anonymous

• I feed my son whenever he is hungry. He is almost five months. Try basing your routine around sleep not around food. You shouldn't impose a schedule for eating. If he's hungry he isn't going to forget about it until he eats. Try forming a bedtime-nap time routine. It's a better place to start and everything else should fall into place from there.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I feed my children on demand no matter what age. Fo newborbs though I would make sure that they wouldn't go longer than a few hours without nursing (3 hours max). For a 4 month old though, just whenever she wants it/ I don't think they need an eating so early. but what you can do is what and see when she gets hungry and plan it out from there. Also remember that you will have to adjust it because she will go through growth spirt, so something will cause her to cut back (like teething, later on crawling or just curiosity of her environment. Feeding on demand though is the best way to make she she gets all she needs and make sure your supply is enough. (btw I exclusively bf my oldest until he was 10 or 11 mos).
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I feed on demand.. I wouldn't recommend a schedule- babies need to eat when they're hungry, not by the clock. That's part of why breastfeeding is such a good start- it establishes from day 1 to learn your own body, when you're hungry, full, and to take as much as you need when you need it. The wall clock has absolutely no association with the hunger signal.
    Furthermore- times will come when baby will be teething/sick/growing/more active- sometimes s/he will need to eat more, sometimes less, and sometimes in between. It's best not to put babies on schedules. A routine is all that is necessary.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I exclusively breastfed both my kids and fed on demand. When they wanted to eat and how often depended on the day, whether or not they were going through a growth spurt etc.. hang in there mama you and your baby will get a schedule going eventually.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 9:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I feed on demand also. But he eats at least 8 times/day... usually more.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• In the beginning I fed on demand, but since about 3 months, we have went to every 3 hours. She nurses "around" 7, 10, 1, 4, and 7. Then she sleeps through the night. She is 6 months and 19 lbs so she definitely isnt starving or anything. But based on her demand, she goes every 3 hours and that works out great. I am beginning to try to find out how to move it back a little more...like 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 9:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I fed mine on demand. I think a schedule is more for bottle fed babies and that is only a guide, with my youngest I had to wake her every 2 hours and make her eat 2cc's until she got the hang of eating, my middle no problems at all, my youngest was breastfed and it was on demand, at that age he was nursing every 3-4 hours. In stead of scheduling their feedings I just changed my schedule around the feedings.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2008