• In the Spotlight:

toddler bed

my son is almost 15 months and is in a crib.i don't know when i should i take off the rail to put in his toddler guards. when should i do it?

babyjoe21

Asked by babyjoe21 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I switched my DD when she was 2.But in my opinion each child is different. I think the average age is about 2 though
    karliesmom0506

Answer by karliesmom0506 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my son was about 15 months old. i have a bunk bed from ikea and the bottom bunk is directly on the floor, i love it, i never had to worry about him falling out of bed because he was already on the floor on a shallow foam mattress
    learae

Answer by learae at 9:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Mine is 29 months and still in her crib.
    There is no "age" to move them. Only how ready you and they are for the freedom of a bed. Most parents will tell you to make the switch when they start to climb. Most books will tell you to find a way to stop the climbing and keep them in the bed until 3. It's up to you to figure out what works for your family.
    Keep in mind that toddlers see no reason to stay in bed and nap or sleep so naptime may end and bedtime may become an hours long battle. You will also need to find some way to confine him to his room at night. There is no such thing as a fully baby-proofed house when mom is asleep. Any toddler can figure out how to undo cabinet locks and open front doors given enough time and no supervision.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my son will be 2 in march and is still in his crib...he knows how to open doors and i dont need him getting out so in the baby cage he will stay...lol

i would say keep em in there until he is trying to climb out...he is safe in there...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Mine were moved out of the crib at 15 months. It's a personal choice when the parents want to do it. Our older two started hitting the height limit for the crib and the younger one....well, we moved him at that age because that's when we moved the other two! lol

Personally...if he has the potential to climb out, I would get him out of the crib. My cousin broke her leg climbing out of her crib....leg was caught in the slats as she went over and snapped.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:00 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• When a child can climb on and off the couch. If your still nervous pad the floor with stuffed animals.
    gimmykissy77

Answer by gimmykissy77 at 7:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• We just got one at 20 months. Some kids will use to eariler and some much later. Can your child climb out of the crib? Is hes a rough sleeper? Do you think he is ready? Ask yourself these questions and if you think it is time by all means go for it!! Good luck.
    Mother2oneboy

Answer by Mother2oneboy at 12:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2008