Do you "screen" what your kids watch or play?

ReneeK3

Asked by ReneeK3 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• Yup. Way too much stuff out there that they're too young to comprehend or deal with yet. They're 4 and 7. I don't have a ton of limits, but they're not allowed to watch movies or play video games with excessive violence, and I don't let them watch shows where the kids are bratty towards their parents or other adults.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yes absolutely. Our son isn't allowed to watch tv during school nights or play video games. And he rarely watches tv or plays video games on the weekends either. I'd much rather he went outside and got some exercise.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• ABSOLUTELY!! I don't want my son to be desensitized to violence against women and children to think that it doesn't mean anything to show it in the media. I do not want him to play violent video games where he shoots down women (but of course it is okay because they are only prostitutes), kill animals with machine guns, or rob banks. I'm not a prude. I'm just not a fan the way women are portrayed as objects and not sentient beings. I also do not like the fact that many shows inaccurately portray African-Americans always being in a gang, in hand cuffs, or being in jail. I don't like the way the media portrays a lot of minorities and other vulnerable groups. Not to mention the type of marketing that goes on is sooo intrusive and is entwined in every fabric of our society. So I am careful to now only screen for my son's viewing needs but my own as well

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• To an extent, but not too much. I won't let her watch anything too violent, although she has watched CSI and shows like it and enjoys it. The only video games we have in the house are purely fantasy, and she is smart enough to understand that video games are pretend. I don't see a need to over protect her from TV or games because I see it as an opportunity to have a conversation with my child about real life vs. fantasy.
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 10:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yes, of course..absolutely! There is so much inappropriate, as parents it is our responsibility to protect our children from what is unsuitable or harmful.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 10:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I try my best to screen TV/games, etc. However, I have to be careful, my sister lets her kids watch/play anything. Fortunately, they try to forewarn me before I come or turn off shows/games they think I won't approve. They even try to tone down their own language when the kids are there.
    tinajt

Answer by tinajt at 10:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• YES!! That's what parents are for to shield them from this hell on earth. And to the mommy that lets her kid watch CSI, it's not about "smarts". A five year old isn't developed enough to honestly realize the difference from reality and fantasy.
    luvinher

Answer by luvinher at 11:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yes Absolutely! I have since my oldest dds was little!! They also did not have TV growing up, I wanted to be able to know what they we're watching!
    NewArmyMom2008

Answer by NewArmyMom2008 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Not really. The only thing I don't allow is gratuitous violence and sex and excessive swearing. Otherwise they pretty much watch whatever they want. They are 8, 7, 6 and 2 1/2. Mostly they stick to the Disney channel. My son (the 7yo) likes military history so will watch any movie about wars and the military (documentaries, too). He really enjoyed the Patriot and Pearl Harbor is one of his favorite movies. My 6yo dd loves Buffy the Vampire Slayer and begs to watch it constantly (I have the whole set on DVD). They don't really play video games. The 8yo has a DS but all her games are kid friendly.
    My parents did it the same way with us and I think me and my brother turned out just fine.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:06 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i do one better than screen, i don't allow any TV at all. My daughter plays with her toys and such all day and only watches the movies i deem appropriate and plays with the toys i deem appropriate.
    My oldest isn't sheltered, if she wants to learn something, i will teach her, not some pre-teen camera whore on tv.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 4:20 AM on Dec. 30, 2008