how long will sex hurt after having a baby?

When should i see the doc about it? anysuggestions on how to get it to feel better. we tried lube and forplay and still does its been 6 months.

dewey_scoles

Asked by dewey_scoles at 9:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Health

• did you have stitches? did you wait the full 6 weeks afterwards? I had a couple of stitches and I remember sex hurting for a long time... it wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor.
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 9:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My son is 16 months. It still hurts very much! I talked to the doctor and they said use lots of lube. Even with lube it's rather painful. The doctor told me it could take years for things to go back to normal and the pain to quit.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I waited 4 months before I even attempted sex because I was still too sore. I was fine by 6 months though.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Are you breastfeeding? The whole time I was breastfeeding sex hurt for me.
    IrishDruidMama

Answer by IrishDruidMama at 12:14 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• If you had a large episiotomy or tear, it could take a while for the scar tissue to form, heal, and then deaden. You might want to ask your doctor about it, though, they have creams that can help. It's not unreasonable for it to hurt/be uncomfortable for up to a year, but hopefully you can get some answers.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:14 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Guess I'm a weirdo but I only waited till I stopped bleeding...it hurt a little but with enough lube it was fine...I just had to be on top to control how deep he went!Only waited 1-2weeks!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on Dec. 30, 2008