big baby

i went in for my 34 week ultrasound and the baby was weighing 7 lbs.. i know ultrasounds are off a little bit but... for some reason i have a feeling that hes gonna be a big boy!!! does anyone remember what their babies weighed at 34 weeks?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I was never given a guess.
    Ultrasounds can be off by 2lbs.
    Furthermore, a woman's body will not make a baby too big to birth vaginally.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• um....i want to say that my daughter was 5lbs around 34 weeks and at 6lbs 4oz when born (at 41 weeks)
    tasha080808

Answer by tasha080808 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I am wanting to think mine was about 5 or 6 lbs at 34 weeks. When he was born he weighed 11lbs 10 oz but the day before I had him they told me that he weighed around 9 1/2-10 lbs.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My daughter was born at 34 weeks 5 days and weighed 5lbs 3oz.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I agree with Liyoness. Ultrasounds are off by average of 2 pounds, which would sound about right for him being average sized. That and I truly think that your body won't grow a baby that it can't birth... that is what we were designed for. Every reason I hear for a c-section and a large baby, I have heard of the same sized baby being born vaginally without any issues.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• omg almost a 12 pound baby?! you brave, strong woman! my first was over 8 pounds and i thought he was big

with my second they guessed at about 36ish weeks that he was about 7 pounds and when i had him 8 days past due we was 7 lbs 10 oz so they were probably guessing a little under
    learae

Answer by learae at 10:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I have to disagree about the statement that says our bodies will not grow a baby that we can not birth. I wanted a vaginal birth but after 12 hours of labor and my son wasn't moving down at all, they finally decided that I had to have a c-section. Turns out that his head was too big for me to give birth to him. Yes, there are plenty of women who have gave birth to 12 pound babies without a c-section but every woman's body is different.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I agree with Liyoness Ultra Sounds can be off buy as much as 2 lbs. For an 8 lb baby all the sudden he can be 6 lbs... Its really hard to say if he is big or not. My Doc never gave me a weight.
    Brittainy412

Answer by Brittainy412 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I disagree as well that our bodies cannot develop a baby we cannot deliver. Im only 4'10" and my doc noticed my son was going to be at least 8 lbs 8 oz and said it was unsafe to let me try and deliver. So we had a schedule c-section....he ended up weighing 10 lbs 7 oz!!!!
    MamaSpurg

Answer by MamaSpurg at 10:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• As a doula who has attended many births, I can't tell you how many times a doctor will say how HUGE a baby is based on an unreliable ultrasound. I know a lot of women don't want to hear that because they feel their c-section was justified, and it is a personal decision, but ultrasounds are VERY unreliable as previously mentioned, by up to 2 lbs. I've seen moms have 14, yes, I said 14 lb babies vaginally... even under 5' women have 10' babies. Why would you schedule a c-section rather than attempt a vaginal birth based on one unreliable test?
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:07 AM on Dec. 30, 2008