Couple of Questions Here....???

My son is a month & 3 days not that it matters on the day (lol) anyways

1. Is it normal he eats anywhere from 2 to 8 ozs it really depends on the day!!!????

2. He sleeps on his tummy! He hates sleeping on his side & back..how many have ya'll let your baby sleep on their tummy....

3. How do you get them to sleep...he's up for more than 2 hours during feeding and lately he eats every two hours & thats eating 4 oz ...what to do? Sometimes he'll sleep 3 to 4 hours but that's only if I don't; move him!!!!!!!

rebel07

Asked by rebel07 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Eating will vary between feeds, we dont always eat the same amount at each meal either. The response above was correct that there are alot of risk factors for SIDS, please keep in mind that they are risk factors and not causes, which means all may be present and not lead to SIDS or just one can be and cause SIDS. We dont know what causes it!! What we do know is that there are things that have been associated with SIDS and sleeping on the stomach is one of those things along with exposure to cigarette smoke and young maternal age. I would encourage you to speak with your Pediatrician about your concerns before making a decision. Sleeping varies as well but it is not uncommon for them to sleep up to 20hours a day (hopefully at least a few are at night =)
    momandoc

Answer by momandoc at 11:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Anything is normal. My daughter has slept either on her side or stomach since day one. I never even worried about SIDS because honestly, there are many more reasons that children can die from SIDS besides not sleeping on their backs. To get him to sleep, start a routine that he can begin to predict that sleep is coming....check out the baby whisperer book....it really helped me get Amari on a good routine from 2 months on....Good luck!!!!
    blackwellqk

Answer by blackwellqk at 9:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my daughter is 4 months and she's been sleeping on her tummy since she was about 1 1/2 - 2 months old she gets her best sleep on her tummy and for her 1st 3 months i let her sleep and eat on demand she still eats on demand but now she's on a sleeping schedule
    tasha080808

Answer by tasha080808 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• o and when you want your baby to sleep make the room dark and when you want your baby awake make the room bright (ex. put them by a window) this gets them use to sleeping at night and being awake during the day
    tasha080808

Answer by tasha080808 at 10:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Feed him what he wants. We made the mistake of watching the intake and mistakenly had our DD FTT (failure to thrive) We feed her what she wants and she is so much happier. Let him sleep whenever and wherever he wants. I let my DD sleep on her tummy when she slept with us for the first few weeks. Then we had her on her back in her room. Do what feels natural.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I don't know what's "normal" for a baby to eat because I breast fed :)

My daughter hardly ever slept on her back. It'll save them from having flat spots on the back of their heads!

I nurse her to sleep
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I agree that anything is normal when it comes to babies!! I have two girls, 4 and 1, and both of them slept on their tummy. My 1 yr old still does. As far as eating, as long as they seem satisfied they are fine, they will let you know if they are hungry and when they are full. Also, about how to get them to sleep in longer intervals ... good luck with this one honey, my dd's didnt sleep through the night until about 7 months old. Also, i let them sleep wherever they fell asleep at, in the swing, the carseat, the bouncer ... as long as they were asleep .. no worries!!
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Let him pick his own schedule. Sleep will come, Everything seems normal. Keep a somewhat consistant pattern though and it will help. For Night Time feedings keep the lights low, don't play with him and when he is done its back to bed. He will learn that when it is hard it is time to sleep. I always laid mine on his back and if he wiggled his way to his stomach so be it. My docs always told me 24 oz. in 24 hrs... But I don't remember what age it was. Mist babies naturally are able to self regulate thier food intake and get what they need. Talk to your doctor on what they recommend for your child.
    Brittainy412

Answer by Brittainy412 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my first was the same way, all babies are different and prefer different things
    with the eating, as long as you are getting wet diapers with a couple poops too everything should be fine
    my first boy would be able to eat more than 8 ounces at a time but my second never wanted more than 4. also my first would only sleep for 2 hours on and off but my second will sleep 10 hours straight, they are complete opposites
    when in doubt talk to your doctor and try not to worry about all the little details
    learae

Answer by learae at 10:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• 1. is that at one time.. i hope so... and im going to assume so.. my son was eating sometimes 2 ounces at a feeding, to 6 oz... my son was drinking about 24 ounces to 32 ounces a day, hard to tell, we were still breastfeeding then..

2. My son has slept on his tummy since he was about 3 weeks old... he's almost 6 months, and now that he is rolling, he sleeps which ever way he wants..

3. i have been giving my son 3-4 naps everyday. Lots of patting on the back at bed time, and i make several trips into his room, i have a post on my journal about my sleeping techniques...
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:07 AM on Dec. 30, 2008