What is a good shampoo/conditioner to use on dry hair that breaks?

I need an affordable shampoo/conditioner that will make my hair not break and become strong. My hair breaks so bad and i need something. Thanks ladies!

sent4u5041

Asked by sent4u5041 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• Pantene Restoratives, they have one for breaking hair. It doesn't look like the usual Pantene, it's more of like a squishy tube, and IMO is affordable.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I love the aussie brands. They have a shampoo that is called protect and soften and it makes your hair so silky its really good and not too much money. I also like dove, also nice and not much money.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 10:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• you first need to figure out why its breaking. health? too much hot-tool usage? chemical damage? if its the later, nothing will restore it, but getting a good cut(to get rid of damage) will help tame the breakage. if its hormonal/health related, you need to examine your diet/meds to see if something you are lacking/taking is the culprit. that said, an affordable/drugstore brand would be...tresseme,biofusion..can't think of anything else off-hand. look for labeling of 'damaged/brittle hair'..don't use an all-in-one shampoo/conditioner. it won't help. if your hair is breaking because of heat-affected damage, you need to stop using so much heat, and be kinder to it. use a heat-protectant spray everytime you blowdry, flatiron, curl, etc to reduce the amount of damage..
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• ...if your hair is fine, you have to realize it doesn't have the 'muscle' to stand up to much heat/chemical treatment as 'normal' hair, and needs to be treated with a softer touch.
    also, is your brush old, worn out? it may be pulling, snagging your hair, and that leads to breakage, as well. if you flat iron, does it pull the hair when you drag it through? it should 'slide' easily; otherwise, the heated hair is weaker (so to speak) and will tend to bend to whatever will is pulling it. i'd lay off the hot tools as much as possible, until you begin to notice better condition, less breakage.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• i'd have to go with pantene it's my favorite and works great with all hair not to mention i've had hair stylist tell me that pantene is the best shampoo/conditioner for your hair
    tasha080808

Answer by tasha080808 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Do you have a Sally's Beauty Supply near you? They sell L'Oreal Ineral Hair Fixer. It's a reconstructor. As long as you use it, it will 'fill' in all the weak and damaged areas of your hair. There are lots of reconstructors out there, but that one is my favorite.

Here's a link to the product on their site:  http://www.sallybeauty.com/loreal-hair-fix/SBS-500492,default,pd.html  If you search there for 'reconstructor several options will come up.  AVOID the ApHogee...it STINKS to high heaven!!!

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• K pack protein is the best ever! although it is expensive, but it really helped me, now its all i use!
    chloe_romano

Answer by chloe_romano at 10:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• All of the above sound good, but I live in Colorado where the air is dry and my hairdresser recommends using a "leave-in" conditioner throughout the day. Basically, you spray on a product that gives your hair moisture. It works!
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 10:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My hair has always broke off for as far back as I can remember. I have cut useing heat on my hair and have gotten it cut.
    sent4u5041

Answer by sent4u5041 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i love garnier fructis products
    mstia

Answer by mstia at 2:22 AM on Dec. 31, 2008