Lamase? Do you actually have to go?

nasibaby

Asked by nasibaby at 10:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i never did and i did just fine with labor but i would like to mention that the breathing really came in handy
    tasha080808

Answer by tasha080808 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You don't have to do anything you don't want. I liked our birth class. It's more then just breathing techniques.. it lets you know what to expect, gives you ideas of what to pack in your hospital bag, if you take your class at the hospital you're delivering at they give you a tour showing you where to check in and go and park. It's just reassuring for some people.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 10:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Unless you are planning a drug free labor, no. I hate it when people take birthing classes just to get drugged up. These classes are for pain management during child birth ladies!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I never went :) But I was really good friends with the my nurse during my birth (we had worked together for a year at that point in the same hospital) and it seems that some of the stuff that she had me do would have been useful to know. BUT I also think that, at the time, even if I had gone to the class, it would have been the last thing on my mind during labor...
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I went to a basic child birth and beyond class (covered breastfeeding as well). It was interesting, but most of it I had already talked to my sister about. It depends on you and your personality really. I am not a classroom person. I was home-schooled and prefer to learn on my own, so sitting in a room with a bunch of strangers was awkward for me.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Most of the birth classes around here cover all pain management options, I've been to two different classes for my two different births. Both discussed popular choices, terminology, showed utensils used. It helped Moms ask questions and get some fear out of the way. I didn't go to a strictly "Lamaze" class.. I took a birth class, and as reflect1light mentioned it covered some baby care basics as well as feeding. (How bathe your newborn, cord care, etc) I liked it. Its nice to have when you're hormonal and scared of the new life coming your way. ;)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 10:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Thanks alot, Some of my friends were like O no you have to go, but some were like no they totally forgot how to breath when they got in the delivery room. I was torn.. Thank you
    nasibaby

Answer by nasibaby at 10:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I did not take any classes and I regreted it a little. I threw up a lot during labor from nerves and pain. Maybe if I learned how to relax a little it would have been better.
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 10:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I didn't remember all that much about my class, other than some of the caring for infants... I got alot of it through research and Q and A's and trail and error
    Brittainy412

Answer by Brittainy412 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I had all natural homebirth, and never attended child birth classes, Lamaze or any others. They cost money in my area, which is why I passed.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2008