Will my sons hair grow back after being ripped out with a power drill??

My Son is 22 months and my daughter is 4. Last week my husband was putting together my daughters new bed... he decided to take a break and left the power drill sitting on a chair. My curious 4 year old daughter picked up the drill while my 22 month old son was standing next to her and about 3/4 of his hair was ripped from his head!! I'm still very traumatized! I thank God everyday it wasn't more serious. I still can't help but wonder will his hair ever grow back? Has anyone else ever heard or experienced anything like this? Help!!!!!!

mittensoup

Asked by mittensoup at 10:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Kids' Health

• i had my hair caught in a fan and it grew back. i think (not a dr just my opinion) that the skin would have to be really damaged for it not to grow back. people wax various parts of their body daily and it still grows back, so as long as he wasn't "scalped" then i don't see why it wouldn't. i'm sure it will take a while tho, it takes what 6-8 weeks for hair to grow back after a wax?
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• it depends how much scalp damage there was, was it his hair or his actual scalp that was pulled away from his head? if the scalp mwas pulled off, scar tissue can form. Keep an eye on it and I would see a doc to see how deep the wounds were.how scarey!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Bearsjen,

Thank you for your response! it wasn't the scalp, just the hair.
    mittensoup

Answer by mittensoup at 10:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• poor baby! that must have hurt. The hair will grow back, probably slowly though.
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 10:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• OUCH!!!! Poor little guy!

It should grow back... think of it like waxing!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• pure baby.his hair should grow back
    ladybug36519

Answer by ladybug36519 at 12:59 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• The same incident happened to my 2 year old . He had put a drill to his hair ( his hair long) and it ripped bout 3/4 of and inch out of the center of his head. It has been about a month.. I have not seen any growth yet. I am hoping that it will grow back. It looks pretty funky being baled at 2 years old. I was wondering if you've seen any growth since the incident happened. Could you PM me. Thanks!
    sashy37

Answer by sashy37 at 4:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• this just happened to my daughter but with a mixer for cooking. how long did it take for the hair to grow out. I am really worried about it.
    BrenLG

Answer by BrenLG at 8:21 PM on Jan. 1, 2014

• This just happened to my son yesterday actually...he took an empty drill to his head and it ripped out a chunk of his long curly hair. He has a huge bald bare skin spot. Like other concern moms, I'm wondering and praying it grows back. Did your child's hair eventually grow back? How long did it take if so? Thanks for ur advice
    Num1sammy

Answer by Num1sammy at 8:01 AM on Nov. 2, 2015