My husband's annoying work situation, what to do?

He works for a heating and air conditioning company where every weekend one tech is on call. Well, when he was hired they told him that for the first year, he'd be doing it every other week, and then they'd switch to once every three weeks (there are three techs and the other two have been there for many years, so they kind of get seniority). Well, he's been talking and asking around and they have no plans to, really, ever change his on call schedule. So, yes, he's on call every other week, while the others only are once a month. He's had to do lots of calls the past month, on the weekends, and he's getting burned out and we're all getting annoyed.

Apparently, the senior tech says that he just flat out refuses to do once every three weeks-ever. The other guy is nicer and can't do much about it.

My husband isn't sure what to do. He is almost ready to quit.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• On the contract that he signed, did it state the change of schedule would occur, or did it not say anything about being on call?

He needs to ask his boss about the schedule, not the other tech. The other tech doesn't make the schedule, and the boss may be too busy to realize that his year is up and a change is due.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I must clarify (I am the OP). There was no contract, just a verbal agreement. He's talked to his boss, he just keeps saying vague things like "we'll try to get someone else to help." Apparently, the employee before my husband worked there for two years and was forced to be on call every other week the whole time until HE quit.
    mother-goose

Answer by mother-goose at 10:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Before you/he do anything...be sure you have a back-up job before he quits! If there is another job possibility, I'd sit down and have a straight-forward discussion about the situation with the boss (is boss the owner?). Let him know you'd like to stay but only if they can keep the original bargain. If not, move on. Unfortunately, if there aren't any jobs on the horizon, you may have to put up with it until you find one. It's wrong...but it happens all the time.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 10:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• If there was no written contract that stated that this was how it was going to be, then your husband can't do anything about it, other than insist that he boss do what he SAID he was going to do.

If I were him, I would start looking for a new job (but I never quit a job until I have a new one *shrug*)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• No, the boss is not the owner, he's just kind of like the dispatch guy, but he manages my husband's time and so on. Kind of like a sub-manager.

Ugh ... you all may be right ... time to start searching for a new job.
    mother-goose

Answer by mother-goose at 10:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2008