PRENATAL TESTS

HOW MANY WEEKS R U WHEN THEY TEST FOR DWN SYNDROME?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• There are a lot of factors there. I wasn't ever tested, but I would opt out of any test anyway. Are you high risk or just concerned?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• They do the AFP test (its a blood test) at between 14 and 16 weeks. A low AFP level can be a sign of Downs Syndrome, and if it comes back low, further testing will be ordered by your doctor.

Oh, AFP stands for Alphafetoprotein, and different levels can indicate other problems, not just downs syndrome.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• NO I JST CUDNT REM WHEN THEY DID IT IM 18 WEEKS AND I WNT TO THE DOC LST WEEK AND THEY TOOK BLOOD BUT DNDNT SAY WHAT FOR
    Anonymous

• They don't always check... If you feel you have a high risk talk to your doctor. There is several ways to check.. But they can be pretty invasive. They can also check your bloodwork for a risk factor and may be able to see it in an u/s
    Brittainy412

Answer by Brittainy412 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Unless they have a red lag and your under 35 there really not going to test for it, they'll ask u a bunch of questions take blood for other stuff and reveiew your sono's
    nasibaby

Answer by nasibaby at 10:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• At my doctors office it was routine to do the AFP test....just throwing that out there.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I can't believe that they would take blood for a test and not tell you what it is for. I have never had that happen. I guess that is one more difference between a midwife and a doctor.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 10:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I THOUGHT IT WAS ROUTINE 2 WHEN I HAD MY 1ST BABY THEY TESTED ME AND I WAS ONLY 24 I JST DNT REM HOW FAR ALONG I WAS WHEN THEY TESTED ME
    Anonymous

• I did something called the Ultra Screen at around 11 weeks. This is a very new technology that many insurance providers don't yet cover (luckily mine did). You send in some blood and then get an ultrasound done that measures the skin at the back of the baby's neck. It was very easy and the first ultrasound I had done, so it was exciting and not scary like an amnio.
    Anonymous

• They did my nuchal transleucency test at twelve weeks, the AFP at 14 wks, and I decided to have an amnio which they did at 17 wks. If you have any more questions, feel free to message me!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 5:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2008