Should I stay home to take care of baby or go back to work?

I am due to go back to work at the end of January. I am currently a teachers aide and we obviously dont make that much. I calculated and half my paycheck would be going towards daycare. Also my son gets off early out of school and there is no one to watch him . I dont I would be able to get off early even if I asked. I am so lost right now. I am supposed to be starting school at our local community college but is that honestly going to get me to where I need to be?? UHHHHH I feel lost. Basically I can try to stay home with my kids and take night classes or go back to work and lose half my earnings (about 900 a month on a good month with no holidays) SOMEBODY HELP lol

mamamia2121

Asked by mamamia2121 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• I stay home for the same reasons. I work two at home businesses and I go to the University of Phoenix one night a week. I make money through my businesses to make ends meet and a little more, and I LOVE going to UOP. It's expensive, but I figure that by the time my kids are in school, I'll have my degree and can make better money to afford the student loans and after school care. If you want to chat, let me know...I love being at home with my dd and I am glad I chose to. It's hard financially...especially at first but there are lots of things that you can do from home to make money.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 10:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I was making the same money as you before I decided to stay home with my son. We were really in a tight spot financially anyway, and we knew that it would really benefit us if we could only have one vehicle note & only pay insurance for one vehicle as well. ((I totaled a car while prego, so I had to switch to a high-risk insurance, which is literally quadruple the price... it was totally eating us alive.)) I went back to work for about 2 months, but it was KILLING me to be away from my son, as well as making breastfeeding really difficult, and we finally decided that I should just stay home with him. We only have 1 vehicle now, so it's harder & seriously frustrating at times, but SO worth it. ((((cont.)))
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 10:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• (((continued from above))) I'm still in college, and I was able to switch my classes from being on campus to taking them online through my college. Is there a local university that offers online courses? That or night classes could help you out a ton. Basically, you'll be profiting $450 a month (after paying childcare). You'll be saving money on "professional clothes" because seriously-- who goes out and buys special outfits or uniforms to be a stay at home mom? lol You'll probably save on gas. You'll be eating lunch at home instead of paying for lunch at work. If necessary, I'm sure you could find other small things to cut out of your monthly budget to make up for the lost wages.
    heather.huckaby

• I used the second income calculator and figured that my working would COST us 7k a year... between pushing us into a higher tax bracket, gas, daycare for two kids, lunches, etc... depressing. I like working but I decided it wasn't worth it.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/calc/spouseWork.asp

Its a neat tool.  Ultimately you have to decide what works for your family.  Consider other things too - are you the provider for benefits?  Healthcare from your job?  Would you be HAPPY being home?  How does your spouse feel about it?  Etc.

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 10:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• It's a personal choice. Some people prefer to have a job outside the home, but a home based job is best for others. I would suggest you try it at home for a while and see if you can make it work financially. http://www.freewebs.com/free2workathome/ is my website you should check out the ways I make money at home (free ones)

customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• To me it was always about the bottom line. Even if you are spending 50% of your paycheck on childcare, do you NEED the other 50% to make ends meet?
    The other issue is if you do need the money who can look after your son when he is finished school?
    If you can manage I would stay home, but that's just me.
    I would love to stay home with our kids; I am building 2 home businesses so that I can eventually do that.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 1:14 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Really $900 a mo isn't that much and take into account the higher taxes. Theres gotta be a way for you to earn some income at home or possibly take a PT evening job. Or you could use that time in the evenings to go to school to make more money. This is what people call the Two income trap. You live a lifestyle based on two incomes and then mom ends up needing to be at home and she can't. If you can find a way to get out of this now and work only because you WANT to, then it will be a good thing. Staying home with babies is a very rewarding experience. I ve been doing it for 13 yrs.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Would you like to receive a check for $800 next month? Would you like to make your desire to work from home a reality? I did it and you can too. If you are serious about having a career that allows you to spend more time, whether it is, family, spiritual, recreation, traveling, etc... you can have it. You will love the support and training you receive and enjoy sharing this success with others. Visit my site and Start LOVING what YOU do too! http://www.abetteru.2freedom.com/

mrssfoster

Answer by mrssfoster at 10:45 PM on Jan. 1, 2009

• You know the cost of daycare is so expensive that it is often the reason why we decide to stay at home to save on money. I decided to stay home to cut down on childcare. I tried several direct sales, but I was not digging them. First some of them asked for inventory and monthly quotas, so that was tough in a new place, and I didn't care for pushing thing on people.
    After my mom past away I came across a great company and I love it. I get to host classes in my house doing what I love and I charge for my classes. I don't need inventory and I show ladies to be creative and have fun . I came across it when I was trying to put together a scrapbook for my mom and I just fell in love with it all. I am also working on a business offering my services also for scrapbooking and promotional gifts so if you are interested in knowing more visit my website at www.craftycreations.stampinup.net

SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 1:56 AM on Jan. 2, 2009