Please don't bash... My daughter is 17 months old and I have never watered down her juice. Is their something worng with that?

TaylorBuz

Asked by TaylorBuz at 10:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No thats fine. Pediatricians tell you not to give your kids juice or anything at all. But I never watered down juice for my DD.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 10:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• ummmmm no. I never once watered down my kids juice. Just be careful on applejuice and not give a lot of that.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 10:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I never understood why people say to water down juice. I did it anyway because it was my first baby and I was terrified to do something wrong...but I don't see the problem with it if you don't give them too much.
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 10:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Its about the sugar really. Watering it down will reduce the sugar intake. I do it sometimes. Most doc's are trying to get you to eliminate juice and move towards water. Its just hard to do
    Brittainy412

Answer by Brittainy412 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I never even heard of watering the juice and never did it. Maybe it is because juice is such concentrated sugar. I have heard of for older children rather than giving them juice to drink put water in it - it gives them something to taste and doesn't have the calories and sugar of pure juice.

Answer by Bmat at 10:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I did with my son so it would last a bit longer (our budget was TIGHT.)
    I didn't give my daughter juice at all, since no matter how watered down it was, she would get violent, bleeding diaper rash after just one bowel movement after drinking juice. She can have it now (she's 5), but we had to wait until she was nearly 4 until she could have even small amounts of juice, unless it was homemade juice. Homemade juice and fruit were fine, but not store bought juice.

I personally don't see anything wrong with it at all, unless juice is all your little one drinks, then I'd be concerned about the sugar, but that's all.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Depends on how much juice she is drinking in a day. The reason for it is to stretch it out... because a child shouldn't have more than 4-6 oz in a day total... so if you add water it seems like they can have more.
    Juice is like soda... mostly empty calories with little nutritional value... and most people give apple which has the least nutrition vs any of the other juices.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• ive completly cut out juice.i used to give it to my babes but recently the budget has gotten tighter and really the docs say to cut it out all together.so now i give her milk,(shes almost 20 months)and water(not tap)and then on occasion some tea.but when i did gve juice it wasnt ever watered down,
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• mine get juice only at lunch, and it's watered down. water during snacks, milk at breakfast and dinner. If you are not giving her juice throughout the day, don't worry. If you give a lot of juice (should probably introduce water more), than water it half and half.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• you water it down at first to be easier on babys tummy, then later because it cuts empty calories and obviously cuts sugar(which helps their teeth and can help prevent juvenile diabetes).
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2008