Cradle Cap

I think my son may have cradle cap. He is 5 months and has a quarter size dry flaky spot on the top of his head. It is kinda scaley and really dry. I give him a bath every other day and scrub his hair good b/c he has lots of hair. Is this cradle cap?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be. Put some mineral oil on it. it should go away.
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 10:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Possibly. You might be drying out his scalp by washing it every day. Put a little bit of baby oil on the dry spot. Maybe try washing his head every other day. It won't hurt. Since it's wintertime I wouldn't recommend giving him a full bath every day anyways due to the cold weather. Unless of course he just rolled around in the mud. :-)

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• most likely yes best way to get rid of it is to put baby oil on it to rehydrate the dry spot when my daughter was starting to get cradle cap i would rub baby oil on her head every night and it was gone within a week
    tasha080808

Answer by tasha080808 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• There's this lotion called Baby Magic that works great for cradle cap and it smells really good! I use it every time I wash my son's hair and it hasn't come back .
    Anonymous

• There are things you can get for this but it's not a huge deal, I would say bathe less at that age, that's too much try twice a week. I would use cortozone cream they have a walmart brand or something just for cradle cap which they have in the baby isle. Good luck! Brushing the hair helps too do it every diaper change with a baby brush it helps get the natural oils back in
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 10:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• There is a shampoo they make that you can get at walmart or target for cradle cap (has pooh on the bottle). We would rub it on my sons little spot before his bath and let it set a few minutes, then wash it off with his bath. I would always follow the bath with a combo of oil and lotion for his rub-down (especially in wintertime). the cradlecap was usually gone in a few days.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my son had the most horrible cradle cap ever lol. here is the routine that worked like a charm.... every morning i rubbed baby oil on his head then put on a hat (they only have to keep it on until the baby oil is absorbed). at night i combed the hair real good with a baby comb and then washed it. i know that it sounds wierd, but you should wash the hair more often to get rid of the cradle cap. so if u stick with that routine everyday it should clear up quick. (o if it doesn't and is persistant like my son's was, they have a prescription shampoo called sebulex that u use and that gets rid of it too but u still got to do the baby oil/ wash every day combo)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• it might be, or it might be just dry skin, babies are strange little creatures, when my son got this, i bought a bottle of head and shoulders.. LOL my advice if you do this... buy a trial/travel size cause i still have a small bottleof it on the counter lol i only washed his head twice in it, and it went away.... good luck
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:02 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i always give my lil one a bath every night,it devolopes a routine,but after shes done i put lotion in my hand and then put a little baby oil in the lotion and rub it on her head
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2008