What brand /kind of bookshelf is kid friendly

I am looking into getting a better bookshelf for my 2 year old's room since our old one is to small and a climbing hazard since it's not stable on the floor. It needs to be medium sized to hold atleast 20-50 books.

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 10:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• I would suggest bolting the bookshelf to the wall. When my kids where younger that's what we did with theirs. That way, if they do happen to climb on it....it won't topple to the ground on top of them.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Nail or hook it to the wall to keep it from falling. I understand why you are concerned, we had a bookshelf fall over because our child was trying to climb it. We were extremely fortunate that the bottom of the shelf system was cabinets and the cabinet doors opened as the shelf was toppling and kept the shelf from actually landing on the child.

Answer by Bmat at 10:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Bookshelves that are low and wide are better than those that are high and narrow. Selecting bookshelves that have doors that can be safety-locked is also helpful. Choose a sturdy bookshelf made from real, solid wood..not particle-board. Lastly, harnessing/bolting to the wall is also a good idea. HTH!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 10:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• We actually CAN NOT bolt them since we live in an apartment and we would be going against our lease by putting bolts into the wall and "fined".
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 11:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I think that any bookshelf is fine as long as you have a way to make it stable to the wall and to secure the selves to the actual bookcase. I wouldn't get a tall, narrow one though. A stout bookcase with no more than 5 shelves would probably be the most sturdy option.
    AMSMomma

Answer by AMSMomma at 11:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I have one in the loungerm and just put some placemats at the bottom of it (at the ends) and its as firm as anything, if theres a hubby in the pic he should be able to do that so that it doesnt move otherwise i imagine they all wobble otherwise.......Mine is a huge one and doesnt move at all now.... Its also the tall narrow one.
    helloistaken

Answer by helloistaken at 4:28 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would first of all contact the landlord and ask if there is something that they will approve to secure the shelf. usally its a matter of the amount of damage done to the walls. A small hole that can be covered by putty no biggie after all you have to hang pictures some how. There are many ways to secure that shelf. a few deck screws through the back into the wall works great if the shelf is well attached to the frame by the back. they make brackets for securing that containe small screws, also a simple eye hook in the wall and useing a srew on the shelf with a slip not will tie it down, adding a board to the bottom that is about 4 to 6 inches wider then the shelf will help but wont stop it from falling. Low to the ground shelves are better in this but they must be high quality and wide and sturty. if you would climb on it yourself probaly ok.
    drivnkids

Answer by drivnkids at 10:47 AM on Jan. 2, 2010