Cat question

Why is my cat pooping in my bathtub and how can I make him stop?

SpoiledWifenMom

Asked by SpoiledWifenMom at 10:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pets

• lol, I don't know, but try leaving like, an inch of water in the bottom of the tub and I bet he'll stop.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Thanks..lol. I know it sounds like a stupid question but it' driving me NUTS!
    SpoiledWifenMom

Answer by SpoiledWifenMom at 10:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

•  Is their litter box clean they are very finicky weather it is their food, litter box, sleeping area.

I agree with CarolynBarnett.cat

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I love Carolyn's suggestion! LOL! Have you changed litter lately? Did something happen to startle him when he was using the litter box? You do keep the box carefully clean? Has he used it just fine until now? When we got a new kitten and had to feed her kitten food I tried feeding it in the closed bathroom. And our older cat protested by "going" on the kitchen rug, and I don't mean wet. At first we thought it was an accident, but when we realized several times later that it was his way of protesting, we stopped feeding the kitten separately and the protest stopped. So is there something in your lives that has changed? You are sure it isn't a urinary tract infection or crystals in his bladder? these would make him urinate in unusual places.

Answer by Bmat at 10:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• If you've recently changed the brand of litter you use, he may not like it. We have 3 litter pans for 2 cats and they get cleaned every other day. The vet recommends one litter pan for each cat in the household + an extra one. If you have another cat, it may be a territorial thing.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I have a cat that is 13 and she has started pooping on my son's bed...it is driving me crazy! I am going tomorrow to buy a scat mat at pets mart. They give them a small shock when they land on it, but it doesn't hurt them. Kind of pricey though, but if it works it will be worth it! I'll let you know how it turns out : )
    charlsie64

Answer by charlsie64 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Thanks everyone. I do change his litter every other day. When we were in the process of moving, he went to live with my mom and she got a different litter box. My cousin used his old one for her new cat. I just went and picked his old one back up and I think it might be the fact that the other cat had been using it. I'm going to see how I can get the other cat's smell out of it and try that. I'm pretty sure that's the problem.
    SpoiledWifenMom

Answer by SpoiledWifenMom at 9:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I had a cat that used to do this also. They litter was cleaned daily, but he would have rather go in the bathtub. We started leaving the bathroom door shut, but he just ended up pooing on the floor in another part of the house.
    lol about keeping an inch of water in the tub . . . . never thought of that when my cat pooed in the tub :) good idea
    I ended up getting rid of my cat when he started using the house as his personal litter box.
    Good luck with the kitty.
    Anonymous

• If I left an inch of water in my tub for any reason, I would just have a wet house and lot of wet cats. They hate bathing in the tub, but LOVE playing in there, and that amount of water would entice them more.

My opinion is, better the tub than the carpets.

If you recently moved, did the people b4 you have cats? Your theory on the litter box is good, but also previous cats could have used the tub and he's marking it as his.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I bet if you get a brand new litter box it will stop. You're never going to be able to hide another animal's smell from your cat.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 4:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2008