• In the Spotlight:

how do boys live past 4?

ok how do you get kids past this stage in life. temper and tantrums. oh my!!

lol

Time outs are not working and a good swat on but doesnt work , I tried the talking quieter stuff so he has to eventuall stop but to no good. help!!!

matthewjsmom

Asked by matthewjsmom at 10:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just remember.....TAX DEDUCTION!!!

I have three...ages 4, 3 and 2. My 4 year old will be 5 in February. I've already threatened him that he may not see his next birthday.

When the behavior starts...put him in time out. Leave him there while then temper/tantrum is flaring. If he's done, let him out....no time limit. However...if it starts again, put him right back in...telling him the behavior is not acceptable, will not be tolerated and that until he has calmed down he's staying put.

Find a way for him to get some aggression out...cleaning up the toys, helping vacuum the floor, give him a scrub brush and water to scrub part of the kitchen floor! Anything that requires his muscles to work.....(these are things he would do after leaving time out....)

The above are from the psychologist seeing my son trying to help us (help him) control his impulsive behavior.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:06 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I once heard the definition of the noun, "Boy". I'll give it to you.

Definition:

BOY: A Noise with dirt on it.

Keep on keeping on! The battle must fought and the War must be won!

**Mother of two teenage boys**
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• It can only be because they are so cute when they're born and while they're sleeping...gives just enough time to change our minds!
    mom2micah

Answer by mom2micah at 11:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I've been there! My boys are older (10 & 11) now and my 4 year old girl isnt that bad. My boys are 20 months apart. When they were little, I couldn't even go shopping with them because one would run one way and the other the other way to see which one of them I would chase! They colored every wall of the house, and one time called 911 and told the operator that they were home alone (ages 3 and 1 at the time) even though we had a babysitter there who had stepped out to pick up the mail (just at the end of the walk, like 10 feet from the house!) My youngest one ran away in a 3-story mall in Sevilla Spain because he wanted to ride the escalators! Just know that it DOES get better lol!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I have three boys.... 14, 7 and 19 months...... I have NO clue.... it seems the days have now meshed together!!! I swear I lose days or I am losing my mind!!
    threeBoysMommy

Answer by threeBoysMommy at 5:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• ohhh hun i hear you. my son is 3 and lately i have wanted to kill him. ( i wont ) but still. i need a time out. the whinning the yelling the fake crying... i know its just the age and they will come out of it but poor us. we deal with it. all i can say is the best of luck and your not alone. just like ticcledblue said tax deduction lol. thats a good one..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:25 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I have a son after 3 girls and boy it is different! I get very firm with my son, down right mad as hell with him and he'll just smirk! Drives me nuts! The girls I could instill fear of consquences. My son has a future as the class clown, he takes nothing seriously.
    I read somewhere that the biggest age group of kids that were abused is the 3 & 4 yr olds. I completely beleave it!! I am not an angry person and do not beleave in beating or neglecting as an answer to effective disipline. But boy oh boy those boys will push a parent to the point of questioning why they ever wanted kids in the first place, lol
    Anonymous