Questions for a new pediatrican?

I'm looking into getting a new pediatrician, what questions should I ask when calling to set up a app. And what questions should I ask when first meeting them?

starbucks_mama

Asked by starbucks_mama at 10:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I asked mine (I stole the questions from my cousins)...when is it worth calling the emergency line ie how sick/symptoms should baby have? What over counter meds can she have? Where can I look to find developmental goals? Who is on call when your doctor is not?
    clc728

Answer by clc728 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I would ask them about things you feel strongly about (if any) for example if you want to breastfeed until your child is 2 years, will they support you.

other things: clinic hours, how to reach them after hours, where to the admit if you child need to be in the hospital (things like that)

And then just see if you like them and how they treat your child.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/phealthcare/0,,42rt,00.html

This link might help. Best wishes.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Are they accepting your insurance? Do nurse practitioners see patients also and does your insurance cover them as well? It's also important to know when to call the doctor, when to go to the ER, and what the process is for getting in touch with your doctor. Does the practice have a call system so that you can reach a doctor in the practice when your child is sick? Do they offer electronic medical records, this is important if your child ever needs a referral to see a specialist, and when they come in for well child visits to track development as well as potential problems that should be addressed ( ex, frequent ear infections, strep throat) You might also ask if the doctor admits their own patients to the hospital or if they instead admit to a resident service, do they see newborns in the hospital, vaccinations policy, if they have extended hours during peak seasons (such as right now) and if they offer saturday clinic.
    momandoc

Answer by momandoc at 11:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• as other people mentioned........hours, just get a general first impression and see what you think of their personality, etc. also, see how they feel about the use of antibiotics and vaccinations and see if it is compatable with your beliefs.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• ask them what ever you want.. i did... i asked about after hour calls, does he, meaning mine, call back, i asked his view on vaccines, since i am selecting when to give my son shots, and which ones, and when, i fired my previous ped... she irritated me to no end. We love our Ped.. his philosophy is, i am a doctor, a teacher and mentor... if you have questions, ask, because i want to help make you a better parent. he doesnt preach, he only guides... i started my son on cereal at the end of his 3rd month.. i thought my doctor might be upset, he wasnt.. he asked me why i did it, i said, because i thought he needed it... and sure enough he did, my Ped was proud..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:34 AM on Dec. 30, 2008