What was your child's first experience with gay/bisexual couples out in public?

I live in Atlanta and where I am there are A LOT of gays, bisexuals, trannies, and lesbians. Ironically though my children have never really seen and any intimate interaction between a couple that would indicate they have a sexual interest in each other. To my kids the gays, and such are just friends hanging out like on Sesame Street, lol! Im sure it's because everyone is so nice and NON judgemental that my kids accept them just the way they way they are. I love that my kids are this way, so my husband and I embrace it. I know that not everyone feels the same.

If your child(ren) have had any experience with gay/bisexual couples, what was it like? How did you explain the situation?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 7:08 PM on Sep. 2, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I have never had to. We were on a tour of a brewery yesterday and there were 2 lesbian couples with our group--it didn't even faze my daughter.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:11 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• A few of my friends are gay & DD has been around them since birth, so she just kind of grew up with it. I'm from Atlanta too...if you've lived int eh city for a while, it's kind of hard to avoid. I like it...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• * in the city...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• We have gay friends. We explained that you love who you love long before they witnessed any gay couples out in public. Easy peasy...lemon squeezy.

They have never said anything when they have seen PDA's in public.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:14 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• Umm unless they are personal friends the usually don't notice, just like RACE it doesn't really come in to play until someone else points it out.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:17 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• My immediate family and I have gay/lesbian friends and I have a gay cousin so my kids have been around same sex couples all their lives. Doesn't phase them. My 5 year old asked me why two boys were kissing one day and I said they love each other, like mommy and daddy love each other.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• IDK but my best friend is a gay married man so she's grown up knowing that being gay is just as normal as being straight.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 7:19 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• This must be the Atlanta post...I'm just north of ATL and yes, we have gay folks in the 'burbs too. Last year when my daughter was 7, she became very good friends w/ a girl in her class. I had seen the girls parents at the Open House, and knew they were a lesbian couple. My daughter was invited to their home for a party and I felt it would be best to go ahead and explain about her friend's 2 moms before the party so she wouldn't be too curious or stare or anything. So we talked about it, and she just kind of looked at me like "Uh...okay...and? ". She never said anything else about it to me.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:27 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• We have 3 lesbian couples in our homeschooling group. On the way to our first meeting I told the kids some of the children have 2 moms instead of a mom and dad. Honestly they understood that a lot easier than they did when a friend's parents divorced and explaining the concept of the neighbor girl having only a mom at home. My children were 8,4, and 1 when we started going to our group. I am sure someday they will have more questions but it's not like these families they have meet do PDA's. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• A couple of kids in my daughter's class at preschool have two mommies. No one makes a big deal out of it, so all she knows is "that's his mommy, and that's his Ima."
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2011