I have two children, ages 17 months and 29 months, and they are in a terrible habit of sleeping in my bed. Any suggestions on how to get them to sleep in their own toddler beds?

They just received new bedding- diego and dora- for Christmas because I thought that might help them want to sleep in their beds, but it hasnt worked so far.

momof2_july

Asked by momof2_july at 11:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what you should do is make sure they go to sleep in their beds. and to do that you should put them in their rooms and beds, shut off lights and shut the door, if they conme out pick them up and dont say anything and pu them back in their beds. this may take a few nights for them to get the point but itll work if you stick to it. if they wake up and go to your room, do the same thing, kis them and tell them you love them and good night and stuff and put themin their bed and tuck them in.
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You are the one with the bad habbit sorry to say, because YOU LET THEM DO IT. Its likely going to be a rough week or two but just put them in their beds say its bedtime I love you then walk out when they get up put them back in bed and say its bedtime if they get out again dont say anything and just put them to bed and just keep going until they finaly stop and go to sleep. Like i said it will likely be a rough week but when it's done it will have been worth every single second. Just dont give in or else they are gonna see that it only takes so much to break mommy and they get their way again
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 11:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• totally agree w/pp, also after u take them the first time, do not speak to them again. it seems harsh but it can too easy turn into the "one more time game". Honestly this is why I never co-sleep w/my kids, it leads to this drama of getting them to their own bed. Not bashing anyone but unless u want your kids in bed w/u for much longer than the baby yrs-don't even start this.it will be hard , it may take some time but it will work once the kids realize u mean business. good luck mama.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I feel you Girl!!! My oldest is 4 and she still comes in my bed every single night and now my 22 month old is starting the same habit. it's a nightmare!! it's only temporary though! I hear it can create an incredible bond!
    mittensoup

Answer by mittensoup at 11:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• well im not trying to use this as an excuse but im in the process of getting divorced and because of this i had to move back in with my parents so we don't even have separate rooms. i put them to sleep in their beds every night and i dont even wake up when they climb in my bed.
    momof2_july

Answer by momof2_july at 11:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I hope you are only trying to get them out of your bed, because that is what YOU want. My 6 and 1.5 year old still sleep with us most of the time. 6 year old is ok sleeping alone though, we just love co sleeping. My only suggestion is to let them stay up until they are so tired that they don't care. I would not make it into a battle. I would gradually wean them, one night at a time.
    Butterflybabies

Answer by Butterflybabies at 9:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I am so with you!!! We started it when my son got really sick and now we cant get him out~!~ We do try to move him when he is almost asleep, that way he knows he is going to the toddler bed but not really going to put up a huge fuss. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. People will tell you to let then cry it out, they will tell you just sit with them until the fall asleep, and if they work for you great. I would try both, they dont work for my child but they may work for you, If you are ok with them being there I say let them stay, but if you want your bed back, you need to try some things out. You are not alone!! :)
    Good luck to you!
    Mother2oneboy

Answer by Mother2oneboy at 12:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My son is 18 months old... we sleep in the same bed. he slept in his crib till about 8 months and then we started to co-sleep. he sleeps in his own bed...but i dont sleep much farhter away...if not in there with him. He is my only child...and i know it will be hard to get him out of that....but i dont see a problem with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Does it bother you that they sleep in your bed? We let our kids sleep with us when they were babies and when they are sick. Now they come into our bed almost every night. The oldest are 3 and 4. I tried to get them to stay in their own beds when I was pregnant with my 3rd. It was horrible! We talked about it and discovered that our only problem with it was the safetly of our baby. So we went over what was ok and what wasen't alowed when the baby was in the bed. The baby is 8 mos and just fine!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:07 AM on Jan. 2, 2009