Anxiety in my Daughter?

Does it sound like my nine year old daughter has anxiety?:( Every once in a while she will start crying and tells me that she fears something bad will happen. She consistently tells me "I love you mom!" over and over again. If she gets a nose bleed or a scrape or scratch she gets extremely upset, I mean EXTREMELY! She is a normal child, she just has this issue. Has anyone else been through the same thing? Is it anxiety or something else? What can I do to help calm her nerves?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I have a 4 year old son that suffers from anxiety. There's nothing I can do but comfort him and reassure him that everything is okay. His anxiety stems from hearing loss the first 19 months of his life and not being able to communicate or walk. It's is a work in progress, but things are getting better. He is very routine oriented and if we veer off the routine he gets very upset. Through his school we are starting to implement changes into his routine and he is actually handling it all very well. He has never been prescribed meds for it but we've had lots of therapy.
    Anonymous

• My little sister (she just turned 12 this month) has anxiety issues. She, too, is a totally normal, happy child, but has these irrational fears that something is wrong or that something bad will happen. She saw a therapist twice, and he just discussed these concerns with her, and actually read her some statistics that made her feel a lot less worried about some of her "fears". He told her some things to do to calm herself down, etc. She's gotten SO much better. Message me if you want me to go through some of the specifics of what we told her, etc. I'd hate to write a novel right here!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 11:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I had anxiety as a child...(at about the same age) I think the best thing for it is to help her recognize her fears and have a plan on what she should do when she feels like that. She needs to learn to talk herself down. I learned to tell myself, "no, that's not real". I would also teach her some relaxation skills like deep breathing to help her calm down.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• i had an anxiety problem when i was under 10, and finally went away when i was 15... but between the ages of 5-10 i got sick at the drop of a hat... we would go to the mall.. i'd vomit, or to the fair, or something new, or even something i was use to. But i was given donatol(sp) and that really helped. When i was pregnant with my son, i started doing the research about it, and found that some children shouldnt watch the news, or be around violent movies etc, because they have a problem with breaking from reality... sometimes kids hear something about a bomb, and they freak out... i'd talk to your Ped
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:11 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It could be. Our 9 yur. old DD is the same and is going through the same thing at times. It could also be the "pre" hormones kicking in!!!!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My 10 year old daughter has panic attacks when she rides in the car. As soon as we leave the house she starts complaining of her stomach hurting, not faking either.... It makes her have to go to the bathroom and that makes her panic even more knowing shes not close to a bathroom. She even throws up sometimes. I've talked to her doctor about it and she said to try and talk her out of it when she starts to panic. Have you talked to your daughters doctor about any of this? good luck!
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 11:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• wow, your child sounds just like my 10 yr old daughter, every now and then , she will tell me how much she is frightened by the fact that im gonna die some day, also she never wants to leave my side, she wont even sleep over her friends house, she lives in the same building we do, so you are not alone in this, good luck, i will be looking for anwers to this also, thanks
    kittykatt6708

Answer by kittykatt6708 at 9:17 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• My DD is 11 and obsessed with making sure our doors are locked at night.
    We indulge it.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 9:59 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• There is so much going on in the world that makes us all a little worried. My daughter gets anxious when she has to try new experiences that she thinks she might not be good at. She has trouble sleeping if she knows that she has a dentist appointment the next day or the week before school starts. I talked with a psychologist who recommended a book on anxiety in children. It is called "Freeing Your Child From Anxiety" by Tamar E. Chansky, Ph.D. It is a good resource! Best Wishes!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 31, 2008

• Some kids are like that.......
    Kay300

Answer by Kay300 at 10:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2008