Speech Problems!

Hi my child is 22mths and he is not speaking yet. I have gotten him evaluated for speech therapy and we are waiting to recieve it. In the meantime I would like to know any suggestions that I could do to encourage him to communicate more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We started my son out with baby sign language. It helped him to start to communicate with us without speaking. My son was in the Early Childhood Intervention program until he aged out at 3 and now is in our school district's Early Childhood school where he receives speech and language therapy. A few things that we have been told to do with him almost constantly is to read to him...read to him the same few books. Getting him to hear the words over and over again is what that SLT was getting at. His first word believe it or not was "purple". He was 22 months old. His case was very unique though. He was deaf the first 19 months of his life and could not walk. He had amniotic fluid encased inside his ear drum therefore he could not hear anything and had no balance and could not walk. Good luck with your son. I hope you get the answers you are looking for.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the pp I would start with some simple baby sign language for the things he needs daily.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My son is 23 months old and have been walking and talking since he was 10 months old. With him I talked to him all the time and named everything I was doing. When he would point at his cup, i would say, give me my cup, please. He would try and repeat what I was saying. DON'T DO BABY TALK! Read aloud to him, anything you are reading, children pick up on language and talking that way. I teach Kindergarten. have u had his hearing check? What did your child's doc. say? Contact your local Health Dept and see if they have a program like the other person mentioned the Early Interventions or something of that nature. her alot. So just keep pushing,praying, seeking answers, and asking questions.
    dismomrocks

Answer by dismomrocks at 1:01 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I assume that the organization that is providing the speech did a hearing evaluation? If your child's ears are very consistently blocked because of ear infections, that will alter how speech sounds are heard.
    Next, I agree with baby signs. Start with eat, drink, more, help. If you want a good DVD to help learn signs, go to www.signingtimes.com. These videos are great! Also, make sure that when you are playing that you label and name every object that is there to be played with.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 1:03 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• There's a really great article about speech problems. I put the link at the bottom of this answer.
    Teaching him sign language might be a good form of communication for him now. I have to say, I find making a kid talk to be like forcing a kid to potty train. It doesn't work, and then they're turned off from it. He'll do what he needs to when he needs to, and he'll be fine. In the meantime, encourage him in other areas he excels in. That way he won't feel like such a failure to you. I know it sounds crazy, but he sees you going crazy over this, and he's not understanding it, but knows somethings wrong, and I bet it makes him feel worse about the "problem", than you do as a parent.

http://www.helium.com/items/847769-assessing-speech-delay-in-toddlers (this is actually the article!!!)
    http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/toddler/speech.html
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_warning-signs-of-a-toddlers-language-delay_12293.bc
    KnLzMom

Answer by KnLzMom at 1:45 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• the more you talk to them the more they talk. They are polly parrots at this age and want to copy. Do not use babytalk either. Speak slow and clear.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 3:17 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I strongly suggest ASL, not "baby sign". ASL is another language and can be used in the future!

Stretch out your words, simplify sentences to two word phrases. It's not exactly baby talk...but instead of saying "Do you want the barn open?" simply say "Barn open?" It's just slowing down the speed of speech for them...taking it down to 33 1/3 LOL

The key is to get them to repeat you. Even if at first it's only the correct number of syllables and you have no idea what they're really saying. LOL If you're pointing out a specific thing say.....a basketball. Don't expect him to say "basketball" but look for him to get the right number of syllables and at least one of the sounds! And praise, praise, praise!!

Always repeat words correctly to them. If they say "ba-ba-ba" for basketball...don't repeat what THEY said...repeat "that's right! basketball!!"

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:34 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• (I find the character restriction for answers rather annoying! grr)

I also wanted to add that what I wrote above comes from experience. I have two sons in speech. They've made a LOT of progress in three months!! The key is for you to continue what the therapist starts! Work a little every day and eventually it becomes habitual!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:36 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I agree with Ticcled on the ASL sign language. You can google it and find some simple everyday signs on the web. My 13 month old just started using the signs we have been working on and it's been a huge help in figuring out what she wants.

I read somewhere that sign language is a great help in preventing those daily(sometimes hourly) fits that happen from not knowing what your toddler wants.

Good luck! I hope you get a therapist soon.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• You've already started on the right path, good for you! I signed with my kids. I would say the word with the sign and encouraged them to do the same. For some reason my son, who had an excellent vocabulary wouldn't say thank you. So we signeed it and so did he, now he says it no problem. My 2 oldest are 3 and 4 and the signing still comes in handy. I use the sign for eat and stop often. When we are out and I don't want to draw attention to something they are doing that isn't acceptable I will sign either to them and they know when mommy signs it means business!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 2, 2009