moist baked ham?

I am having friends over for New Years and wanted to bake a ham, but I've never really cooked a ham, besides just heating one that was already glazed and spiral cut! I've eaten ham before that was soooo yummy and moist and falling apart practically. How is that done? Anyone have a good recipe? I am guessing that type of ham must not be the precooked variety? Thanks!

winkie_pinkie

Asked by winkie_pinkie at 11:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Food & Drink

• http://www.recipezaar.com/Gracielas-Baked-Ham-11624
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• That recipe calls for a partially cooked ham. I didn't even realize they sold partially cooked hams!
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 12:07 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would put a pre-cooked one in an oven bag to cook...it stays a lot moister that way.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• yes use a cooking bag
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I am not a ham eater but the men in our family love the stuff, so I make it either Christmas or New Year's and on Easter. One thing that really helps is to use a cooking bag or foil to keep the moisture in. Don't overcook, because that's the fastest way to dry out any meat. Also, after you remove it from the oven, let it sit for 15-20 minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the meat, making it juicier all the way through. This goes for any meat you make.
    When you get the ham ready, make a rub of brown sugar, salt (kosher is best), onion and garlic powder. Use dark brown sugar if you have it. Rub it all over the ham after you score the fat. Place it in the baking bag and add 1/2 can of ginger ale or cola. Close it up (get the air out), and prick a couple holes for steam to escape; bake at 275*f for 4-5 hours.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 3:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2008