I just told my son of 16 to "get Out' and he did. Y do I feel like the worst parent?

I thought we had a good communication with him, but as of one month his gotten a tattoo and has no regards for my husband and our house rules. Its like he doesn't care. we had a long talk with him two days ago but today he went and took off with out permission. I just got so upset told him get out and disconnected his phone.

evelyn1995

Asked by evelyn1995 at 11:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• So you kicked out your 16 yr old because he got a tatt without permission and wasn't obeying the rules. Yeah I think you over reacted...alot.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• It's called tough love for a reason..It is not easy!
    HUGS!!!
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 11:34 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• That may be taking it too far, if I were ever told to get out of my house when I was that young I don't think I would ever talk to my parents again. That would really hurt! But I don't know the whole story so I can't really judge much. You should try to figure out what is bothering him so much to make him rebel to that extent. When I was 15 I got a tattoo and had no regards for my parents, I just wanted their attention I was dumb and naive. Something has to be really bothering him
    Bertha21

Answer by Bertha21 at 11:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• Good for you. You feel horrible because deep down you know what could happen and u want to protect him from that. You showed him you wont put up with his attitude any more. Hugs to you! Keep with it when he comes back. Dont go all soft when he gets home ((hugs))
    Mommysince02

Answer by Mommysince02 at 11:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• I agree you over reacted, so what he got a tattoo if thats the worst thing he ever does you're LUCKY! I leave too if you jumped down my throat and told me to get out he's 16!
    letlovegrow2524

Answer by letlovegrow2524 at 11:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• He's finding his independence and he's being an ass to prove to you and your husband he's a man now.
    I raised two sons and both of them pushed me at that age. You were acting like any normal parent would react when their child shows disrespect.
    I would reconnect his phone and try to find him if I were you and take him out for coffee or a resturant, just the two of you and have a heart to heart talk.
    He does love you and he does want to be home but right now hormones and peer pressure are his problem not you.
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 11:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• IMO being a teen that made mistakes, being kicked out was the wrong move...just a question
    IF HE'S NOT HOME, WHERE DO YOU THINK HE WILL GO?

or

WHO DO YOU THINK HE WILL GO TO?
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 11:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• I agree tough love is hard.
    3mclark

Answer by 3mclark at 11:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• You feel bad because you kicked your MINOR child out with no regard to where he would go, how he would live or survive because he got a tatoo and has an attitude. That is part of the teen years. Just be prepared for the cops to come after YOU when he does something wrong so he can survive on the streets. As a minor, you are still responsible for his actions.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:53 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• My son at 16 can't complaint he hasn't gotten attention. From all my kids, his the one that my husband and I talk more with. And not only that, bu we always tell him how proud we are. I work late most of the times so to give him time so my husband and him would pick me up late and go to Danny's. just the three of us and just talk, laugh till early morning. I had THAT deep conversation with him. Where I told him how much WE love him and asked whats the problem. And all I got was 'I was desperate and I didn't want to wait till I was 18'. Im force to wait for him about 30 min after school because he wants to walk his girl home. If I let take the bus he gets home at Sun down. On top of that I still have a teenage daughter of 14, so I can't really afford to be less lenient.
    evelyn1995

Comment by evelyn1995 (original poster) at 12:11 AM on Sep. 3, 2011