Pregnancy question about twins

Has anyone been pregnant with twins and the doctors didn't catch it for quite a while? I had one very early ultrasound but the doctor told me that it's unlikely but not unheard of for there to be twins but it's not caught at that stage. And at 23 weeks i was measuring larger than i should be so they scheduled an ultrasound. And the ultrasound tech wasn't to knowledgeable, she pushed on my stomach with the probe and found the baby right away and didn't really look around for another one.

FinleyFirst

Asked by FinleyFirst at 11:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• continued: She kept the probe and screen on the baby the whole time. And the doctor even mentioned how that's unusual for me to measure large because the baby measured exactly where it should. This doctors office had atleast 2 cases in the last 2 years where they didn't catch twin pregnancies and the ultrasound colege caught it and had to inform the doctors office. And i keep getting kicked in multiple places right around the same time, and the nurse heard echo's of the heart beat. Anyone experience any of this
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 11:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• @ six weeks it looked like one little bean in there and by 8 weeks it was CLEARLY two little beans. haha. good luck
    sarahkaystone

Answer by sarahkaystone at 11:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I would talk to your doctor about it and request another ultrasound, specifically to look for another fetus.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• it is very possible... I recently had twins, we did discover it early. However, the day before my c-section they did an ultrasound and discovered a 3rd baby!! So it totally happens. I would pay the 75 bucks to go to a private ultrasound company. Tell them your concern and they will do a thorough search.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• our doctors office won't give ultrasounds if you request one. At my doctor's office your lucky if you get one ultrasound your whole pregnancy, unless your classed as high risk. My SIL had diabetes and then got pregnant and she only had 2 ultrasounds the whole time and they said she was high risk. And i am checking into a private company to get an ultrasound done but the closest is almost 4 hours away. The college around here that teaches sonography is only an hour away but full on volunteers for ultrasounds until this summer, but i do have a call into them in hopes they can work me in because of the situation. I'm just very frustrated and fed up with my doctors but this office is the only OB office in the area unless i go an half hour away. So wish me luck and hopefully i can get into the school.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 5:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2008