Do you think ear piercing a baby is good or bad?

how long did you wait?

maleik

Asked by maleik at 1:01 AM on Sep. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I wait till mine are old enough to ask for it and understand that it is a permanent decision.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:02 AM on Sep. 3, 2011

• I waited until my dd could make that choice and then care for her own ears.
    BigMomm4

Answer by BigMomm4 at 1:03 AM on Sep. 3, 2011

• I could not stand the idea of doing that to my baby with her not knowing why im letting someone hurt her. . and hurt her for no good reason. to make her look nice...I thougt my babies were beautiful and perfect just as they were. My oldest had her ears pierced around 8 years old because she asked and knew that it would hurt, and still thought it was worth it, but a baby just honestly doesnt care how they look as long as they are comfortable. so I couldnt do it. and there is the risk of infection too. sometimes they can be pretty bad.
    Laura_with_four

Answer by Laura_with_four at 1:09 AM on Sep. 3, 2011

• I won't judge. It's a personal choice. For some it's actually a cultural tradition. So why would I?

Piercing ears is not hurting a child. They don't even remember it.

Let me ask you this, are against piercingna baby girls ears, but have a circumcised boy? I can bet everything I own that the piercing hurt a lot less.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:13 AM on Sep. 3, 2011

• I think it looks tacky on babies. I agree with allowing them to ask for it. And once they understand they have to take care of it. I also compare it to circumcision. Not all holes will heal up. I still have them and I don't wear earrings at all. Yet if I put a pair in I'd still be able to push through.

I hate the holes because they get infected. Like I said I do not wear earrings. Matter of fact wearing earrings makes me get infections in my holes more.

Bottom line is if the person can't ask for it, it shouldn't be done.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:18 AM on Sep. 3, 2011

• I don't have pierced ears. I'm glad that my mother didn't make that choice for me when I was a baby...
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 1:21 AM on Sep. 3, 2011

• Btw, it has to be a choice for my children. I'm just saying, I'm not going to pit down others for it. I don't wear earringsmbut my ears are pierced. I have no issues with them.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:23 AM on Sep. 3, 2011

• i wouldn't do it. if she needs something to look more girly spend a little extra on some bows
    ilovemymonsterr

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 1:23 AM on Sep. 3, 2011

• I always wanted to if we had a girl but Dh says not till they are 12. I can live with that but I still love that look of those little baby earrings. I also don't really remember any pain when they did mine at 8. Of course I grew up in an area that was very latino so it seems very normal to me to see earrings on a baby girl.

I would also argue that it's not permanent ,my mom let her's close years ago and mine have tried to close several times. So even if she hates it she can let it close.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 1:24 AM on Sep. 3, 2011

• I got my dd ears done at 1yr. she didn't cry much. Gave her a bottle and she was fine. He ears never got infected and they are still pierced. It's a personal choice. some people are for it and some are not. My dd likes the different earrings I buy for her.
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 1:29 AM on Sep. 3, 2011