What would you do if MIL did this on Christmas to you

Things have been strained between me and the MIL, but my daughters missed her on Christmas so I called to wish her Merry Christmas. She said "Yeah, back to you Merry Christmas". Then I said, "The girls miss you and want to all say Merry Christmas" Then silence, I think she's waiting for them so I hand it off, and my daughter is so excited and bubbly, then her mouth drops and says, nobody's here. I listen and she hung up. I didn't bother calling back. I just don't get her someimes. It's not the first time she hung up on my girls while they passed around the phone to say hello. You think I should just quit calling, she lives 1000 miles away and we moved away just last spring.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Relationships

• I would quit calling her it's only setting your daughters up to get hurt. A real grandmother would love her grand babies despite the issues she is having with the parents. Since she can't act like an adult then it's not worth wasting your time when your children are the only ones going to get hurt. I'd write your MIL an e-mail or letter and tell her that because of her behavior you're choosing to protect your daughters and stop any communication with her between them.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I wouldn't call her anymore. Sorry she is such a butt to you all.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:13 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I wouldn't call her again. It's not worth hurting your daughters. Her behavior is childish and intolerable.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:13 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I'm confused? Are you divorced?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It's possible she thought you were done and simply relating the message. Next time let the girls call. You can dial but let them talk and deliver their own message. At the end, they can pass off the phone to you and see if she wants to talk with you when they are done. That way they don't get hurt.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• No I'm not divorced. My husband barely talks to her as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Dec. 30, 2008