Does anyone else try to avoid buying "Made in China?"

After all the toy recalls, the baby formula that made all those babies sick, and the recent information about the amounts of formaldehyde used in clothing made in China, I have definitely become more conscious about where my things are made. I LOVE dishes in the Fiesta Ware line, which are made in USA. I buy my daughter toys made either in Germany or USA (or some from Thailand by PLAN toys). Clothes for my children must come from somewhere other than China (watch out for where it says "exclusive of decoration, made in..." because that means 99% of the time decorations on the clothing are made in China and may contain lead! I do believe that this is a step toward helping my kids be healthier even though there are some things you simply can not find made anywhere other than China lol!

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 12:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Kids' Health

• It's really hard to honestly avoid "made in China," but I do try to look for eco friendly or US made products. I usually love the style of them too. I actually just saw at Target tonight they had these new eco friendly stuffed animals and plastic toys, buckets, tea set etc..I did not check where they are made, but hopefully the US..probably since they were expensive. I would check those out. They were on the end cap. Also I saw Pottery Barn kids and TRU has the same brand, they also make trucks.

Have you been to the OOMPA toys site ? They have tons of German/US toys and they are all pretty cool. I have yet to order, but just discovered it after someone I know bought some baby toys from them.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:24 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It's really hard to avoid. Welcome to the US!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It is almost impossible to do. I do look hard and think twice.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:45 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I have been trying to do the same. Do any of you know where you can get clothing that is not too expensive that is not made in China? Not only for the health but also for our economy.
    Free2bmom

Answer by Free2bmom at 11:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2008