Can a dog catch Parvo twice?

My dog is surviving parvo virus, and I know it will be close to impossible to know where he got it from and to bleach absolutely everything including outside ground. We already threw away ALL of his toys, bleached his kennel, and floors, food dishes, etc. I was wondering how likely he would be to catch it again, also I heard vets pay around $100.oo for a Parvo surviors blood for the antibodies, is this true as well?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Sep. 3, 2011 in Pets

• I don't know about the blood thing, but after your pup is healed, have him vaccinated....and keep up on the vaccinations...I would limit his exposure...like no park, don't take him around puppies, etc..the vet can also give. Helpful advice. Parvovirus is a hard thing to recover from, but if done early an easily be done. Good luck and I hope he does well.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:28 AM on Sep. 3, 2011

• My dog survived parvo. The vet told us it is very very rare for them to get it again. That in fact, we did not even need to get him the shot because he was already producing antiobodies.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 3, 2011

• i dont know about the blood, but yes parvo can be caught as long as they are alive. also some strains of parvo humans can contract as well.. congrats on your surviver!!! and call around to your local vets and er vet hospitals too to find out about the blood
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 10:55 AM on Sep. 3, 2011

• Yes, they can get it again. After he is fully healed, he needs his vaccines. Even if it is "rare" for them to get it again, the vaccine that fights parvo also has a whole list of other things it is for, so please do not not get him that vaccine.

I've never heard that about the blood. I'd call your vet about details on that.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:05 AM on Sep. 3, 2011

• i've never had or heard of a dog catching it twice.
    google "parvovirus", srsly.
    MsSelfDestruct

Answer by MsSelfDestruct at 1:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2011

• he won't if you have the vet give him the parvo vaccine. We always had our pets vaccinated for everything, gave them heartworm pills, Frontline for fleas and ticks......they need to be protected.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 4:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2011

• Get the vaccine. I would never even take the chance.
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 4:11 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• Problem is dog may have weakened immune system from first time it got parvo and it may not be safe to get it a second time.
    Mommadel

Answer by Mommadel at 1:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2013