2 month shots

my lil girl goes tomorrow to get her 2 month shots and im wonderin wat can i expect afterwards?is she gonna b fussy,will she throw up,run a fever,sleep alot..ive heard diff things and im so scared im dreadin taken her..i have infant tyenol for her!pls let me kno wat i can expect tomorrow im so nervous

Brinkleysmommy1

Asked by Brinkleysmommy1 at 12:24 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can go to this site: http://www.ctvia.org/index.cfm?folder=154 to read the actual packet inserts that come with vaccinations, including the side effects you can expect.

dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:28 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• my doctor told me that Patrick might have some swelling or redness in the area, or a slight fever and to give tylenol, or a bit crabby, but you know, right before the shots came, i just had a bottle ready... and that helped, even with the aftermath, no fever, no crabby, just a tiny little red prick, and that was it.... i was gentle with diaper changes for the rest of the day incase the muscle was a bit sore.... good luck, and mama you'll do just fine..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:30 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My daughter didn't do anything different ...I guess it all depends on the child. Be prepared to cry ...well at least I did. I felt so horrible when she got her shots. Also what I would do differently is spaced out my daughters shots ....that's what i'll do for my next one. I believe she may have gotten 4 at 2 months ( I can't remem) but imo that is way too many for such a tiny little peanut!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 12:32 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It depends entirely on the baby, and you can ask the doctor tomorrow what to watch out for as well.

I made sure my son had his Tylenol before and after, which kept him fairly sleepy for the rest of the day. We just snuggled in bed all day, watching movies, sleeping, and eating--it was a nice break for both of us, honestly! He was crabby a couple of days later, but never had any other issues. Sometimes their legs may get irritated, and you can use a cold washcloth to soothe them. Mostly, just prepare to snuggle a LOT! Good luck, you'll get through it just fine!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 12:39 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Kaylee has done fine with all of her shots (she is now 7 months) the only thing that I really noticed was that she slept basically the whole day, but the next day she was back to normal.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:48 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• You don't have to vax tomorrow or even go to the appointment. You can reschedule it.

I had that fear but was pushed into vaxing anyway; with my second I was more researched and did not vax at all. My dh was pro-vax but when he did his own research he changed his mind as well.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 1:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would give your girl a bit of tylenol before you go. I wish I did when my baby got her 2 month shots. The tylenol bottle doesn't tell you how much to give, but my pediatrician said to give her 1/3 of a dropper full (she was 2 months. 9 lbs.) I hope this helps. It is stressful, but a lot less stressful than if you baby got polio, so it's worth it.

Best wishes!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:14 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Do NOT give your baby tylenol before receiving vaccines. I repeat DO NOT give your child tylenol before vaccines.

This may mask any reaction that she may have.
    HaydensMommy007

Answer by HaydensMommy007 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Honestly...you won't know what to expect. None of us knew what to expect. You know what "could" happen....and until she gets her first shots, no one can say. You can expect similar reactions to her next shots, though.

Give a dose of Tylenol about 1/2 hour before the vaccinations. Continue to give it every 4-6 hours for the next 24 if you feel she needs it. (be very vigilant about dosage!)

At each diaper change, play with her legs. Do a biking motion, running, deep knee bends, etc...keep the muscles moving so they don't stiffen up (this is where a lot of the pain comes in...not using the muscles because they hurt, so they stiffen)

At the injection site (which may turn red, get a hard spot, potentially bruise a little, swell a little) hold a cool wash cloth on her skin. If that doesn't work, try a warm one. (this is if the site seems to bother her)

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:34 AM on Dec. 30, 2008