Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Child support laws

our county says you need to wait 30 days after they send paperwork to employer to take their license away. Went thru visitation thru courts to cost of 4,000 and then the deadbeat dad stopped paying. I notified child support he was working but I can not prove they sent the papers to his company and he is 2 months behind.

Answer Question
Renee S.

Asked by Renee S. at 12:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Level 2 (5 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • Only 2 months behind? Mine is 6+ months behind and $6000 in the rear. Child support is one big waiting game.

    Answer by keisha613 at 12:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2011

  • that is nothing. My ex owes me 2500. Child support is not there to help you. They are the most worthless thing out there. Mine hasnt paid sense June, They are like, Well sorry there is nothing we can do for you. They cant tell me what enforcement they will do. His license has been taken. That doesnt matter to them. They can still drive. Just dont get caught. They didnt take my ex taxes. Mine never has paid every month. And once a week I am on the phone with CS and they always say No payment. There is NOTHING we can do for you. Mine never pays the amount he is told to anyway. They get away with everything. They told me that If I want the rears to privately sue him. I said isnt that your job!? They said no.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2011

  • Where are you located? Is your ex self employed? Because here in texas if your a salaried employee as soon as you get a job if there is child support set up it flags in the employers system. Then they are sent how much to take out by the ags office and I think they have up to 2 pay periods to do it. And here in texas if the employer doesn't change it correctly they can actually have to pay. I know this because last year they changed dh cs amount well his company didn't up the support for like 2 months and actually had to pay the difference. I've also heard that if you want the a.g. to go after the dad to go apply for state assistance and this will make them go after the money.

    Answer by gabrielsmommy04 at 12:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2011

  • 2 months behind is NOTHING.. trust me.. you'll have to refile again and explain there has been no CS payments made before they consider revoking his license.. and that part is up to the judge.. a good 50+% of the time those actions aren't taken.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2011

  • My ex is $5,000 in the rear and is 2 months behind and is generally 2 months behind. CSE won't do anything

    Answer by JLS2388 at 2:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2011

  • My son's dad hasn't paid a penny in over 3 year- doesn't seem there's much that can be done about it =(

    Answer by skittles1108 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2011

  • sounds about right, in idaho:
    miss a payment, get a letter, have 30 days to respond to letter they do this twice so it's actually 60 days
    then you get another letter saying you are going to have fishing/hunting and drivers license revoked and have another 30 days to respond
    for a total of 90 days before you have any repercussions for non payment.
    additionally in idaho failure to pay is only addressed if recipient complains and payee cannot be jailed as it it unconstitutional.

    Answer by feralxat at 3:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2011

  • agree with pp... 2 months is NOT considered a big deal. And most major enforecemnt does not start until they are several K behind. The thibg with CS is to never see it as a for sure thing... its always and extra. Be happy if you get it but never depend on it

    b/c then you are putting your faith and life into the hands of someone you don't even like enough to be with anymore and why would you do that?

    Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2011

  • In my experience child support enforcement does not start being aggressive until they are 6 months or more behind. Your only other option is to the the squeaky wheel so to speak. That is how I got my child support. I started sending letters to my state Senator, Governor, Child support agency, Attorney General and anyone else who could help once a week until they figured out I was going to keep on them like white on rice. It was only then they started hunting my ex and arrested him for felony flagrant non support.

    Answer by gemgem at 11:13 AM on Sep. 4, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.