What do you do to save money?

Besides clipping coupons and watching for sales. I need to find some more ways to cut back.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• Do you have cable TV? Do you REALLY need it? Do you find yourself flipping through the channels complaining that there is nothing on? Downgrade to basic cable....you don't need 900 channels.

Do you have a cell phone? Do you REALLY use all the minutes on your phone? Go into your provider and ask them to look at your average usage compared to what you are paying for, and see if you can downgrade your cell phone package.

You can message me if you need more ideas. :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I cook and bake alot. I almost never buy anything pre-made. I try to keep the furnace temp down and instead I dry clothes and bake to help warm up the house. I do buy clothes from the second hand (and decorations for my home), not because I have to, but because I want to.

I guess that's all. I'll keep up with this post to see what other answers you get. Interesting...
    bellasrose71008

Answer by bellasrose71008 at 1:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Sit down and look at where your money is going. Do you *really* know? I speak from experience, I was shocked at what we were really spending eating out. It doesn't take many meals at $30 dollars each in a month to double my "food" budget. I use my debit card, so I went online and identified all of our spending for the last three months. Everyone has their downfalls, or places they could improve. When you go to WalMart are you that lady that leaves with $20 dollars of extra crap you don't need? Are there food items you buy when you shop that could be cut - cans of soda, juice, snack foods? Are you staying within your budgets? Food is definitely one of the most flexible places for saving money if you get creative. I've seen women on here with families of 6 that manage on 300 or less a month food money.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 3:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Save on your Electric too -- Turn off lights in rooms you're not in. Unplug electronics and appliances you aren't using. Yes, I know it sounds weird.. but electronics pull latent energy and can be costing you money even while "off" -- cable TV boxes are HUGELY guilty of this. We have our TV, Cable, etc on a surge protector and switch it off. If you're not home during the day turn the heat down before you leave the house. Not off - it won't save you money to have to reheat a frozen house - but lets say you keep the house at 68, push it down to 62 while you and your SO are at work. No sense heating an empty house for 8-10 hours.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 4:00 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Scrutinize your spending; go over all your receipts for a period of time to get a true picture of where your money is going. You will most definitely find where you can cut back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:25 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I had cut everything back but it wasn't enough. I had to make extra income, you can PM me to find out how I did it for free.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 8:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Go to grocery stores like food for less or superior wherhouse.Where you pack the groceries yourself.Cook more at home and plan your meals out for the week and always look at the ads before you leave the house and shop at the 99 cent store not for food for items like household items light bulbs,even socks for pairs of hanes socks for a dollar.Jst buy what you need and do not forget always try to shop in the clearance section Target is great on prices for kids clothes right now.
    monica277

Answer by monica277 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 2, 2009