Lump on my hand

Yesterday I woke up to my left hand and wrist being really sore. Last night I was bending or streaching my wrist and hand and noticed a lump on my hand a few inches above my wrist. My mom said it was a cyst but it feels like bone. I don't want to get an x-ray because I am 24 weeks pregnant. What can I do about relieveing the pain in my hand??

Princessstar024

Asked by Princessstar024 at 1:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Health

• I would try a heating pad for now and see how that works. Could be a specific cyst like your mom said. I can't remember the name, but my mom use to get them. I use to have a lot of wrist swelling for years so I know how painful it is.

Also if you do not have a heating pad heat up some dry rice in an old sock, in the microwave. Can be used over and over and works great.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 1:25 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I would just have it looked at by a doctor... you might not even need xrays... if its a cyst I don't think they'd need a xray to know... and if they try to give you one just tell them no. They won't force you to. But the heating pad def might help!
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 1:28 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Hmm, well, I think I would have it checked out, unless your mom has a background in that sort of thing. She probably means a sebaceous cyst? They are very hard and suddenly pop up, the wrist is a popular place for them. I do not think a dr. would need to x-ray for one of those. As far as the pain, try alternating heat and ice, never more than 20 min of either. 20 min on/20 min off. I still think it warrants a call to your provider.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:48 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• You can also try Tylenol (up to 500mg) and see if that helps relieve the pain, and ask your doctor about it at your next appointment (or put a call in tomorrow and see if they will see you sooner)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:52 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Always get something unusual checked out and never rely on non-medical opinions, especially online.

I do remember having a ganglion cyst in my wrist for a few years that was caused by a non-ergonomic keyboard that I used to type with when I typed for hours a day. It was painful, but there was nothing to be done about it until I stopped typing and wore a brace.

Again, go see a doctor.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:48 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I'd go to the doc---if it's cellulitus that can get BAD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:49 AM on Jan. 4, 2009