Need help with 8 month old

My baby girl started doing this new thing where every time I leave the room she cries her little heart out. This is making it really really hard to get ready for work, and makes me feel really really bad when I have to let her cry for a few minutes. Any suggestions? And how long is too long to let her cry?

mpeck01

Asked by mpeck01 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say let her cry as long as you have to...she's old enough and she has to learn Mommy has to leave the room sometimes. That or take her in the other room with you.
    cdogdevon

Answer by cdogdevon at 10:29 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• When mine does that I'll pop into the room and talk to him without picking him up. I want him to know I'm still there, but I don't want him to think every time he cries I'm going to run in and pick him up. I play music for him, he seems to like it when the room's not dead quiet.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• You need to let her cry. As hard as it is you have to to do it. My two year old cried his heart out when I walk out the door to go to work. My mom says I am barely out of the drive way and he has stopped and is fine. I used to be late for work soothing him, but he was doing it for my attention. When I was gone he could have cared less he just went about his business.
    mlk0803

Answer by mlk0803 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• You don't NEED to let her cry. If letting her cry is not something you are comfortable with then don't do it. I didn't let my child cry and she is independent and perfectly fine. Try playing peek a boo with her where you use a blanket to cover your face. That way she learns that even though my mommy is gone she is coming back. Also, talk to her when you are around the house but maybe not in the same room as her. Also, if you are getting dressed just take her with you from room to room. I know it sounds like a pain but I did it. Then when my daughter could crawl and then walk she'd follow me from room to room.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 11:41 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• You can either tough it out and let her cry or deal with bringing her around with you everywhere. I have done both. Either way she will grow up to be fine. I think 15 minutes is the longest you should go letting her cry tho. You at least need to go in there and talk to her or just let her see you every now and then. And make sure she hasnt pooped or something. Other than that I think it is fine to let her cry all day long if that is what you want to do
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• This is the start of separation anxiety. When I am getting ready, I will put my makeup on in the hall instead of the bathroom so my son can see me and talk to me. I also will call out to him when I am not within sight of him, just so he knows that I am there. It was tough for about a month but now I can pretty much leave the room and he cries for no more than a minute and then plays with his toys.

http://1sttimeparents-whatdowedonow.blogspot.com
    NoJo

Answer by NoJo at 12:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Sounds like separation anxiety. Don't change your routine. You could talk to her while you're getting ready, but it's OK to let her cry a little. I don't buy that BS about it strengthening their lungs... my son didn't cry a lot & he can scream (and breathe) like a champ! Do whatever makes YOU comfortable.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It seems like she is going through separation anxiety..I know it must be so hard for you..If possible, can you take her with you to the room you are in? Otherwise, could you talk to her from the other room so that she knows you are there?
    This is a tricky stage with no sure fire ways of success, but these few things helped me when my little one was going through this..
    Good luck
    Caitlynsmommy07

Answer by Caitlynsmommy07 at 4:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2008