How to increase milk supply

Since my daughter is sick and on heart and lung bypass, I unfortunatly can not breastfeed her as of yet, so I am pumping every couple hours. Recently I noticed it is becoming more and more difficult to express milk with the pump. I actually get better luck doing it by hand. Any suggestions on how to encourage let down without the baby?

lillys_mommy09

Asked by lillys_mommy09 at 1:51 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Massage and warm compresses. Have a picture of your baby, too.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:53 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• and maybe her blanket with her smell. and eat oatmeal and take a fenugreek supplement.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 2:30 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• my friend was told by a doctor that hot water increases milk flow and cold water decreases it plus ive also been told that pumps decrease milk flow but be prepared drying up is very uncomfortable best wishes to you and your baby
    tasha080808

Answer by tasha080808 at 2:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• One of the biggest things I heard was to look at a picture of your baby or think of your baby... it releases a hormone that lets your milk down. Maybe Mother's Milk Tea?
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:56 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• OH this is going to sound stupid. I had a problem with my supply and one thing that always help my let down was a baby crying.
    So I found a sound bite of a crying baby and listened to it to help with let down.
    I also took fenugreek and used warm compresses.
    I know it sounds dumb but hey it worked!
    RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 1:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It doesn't sound dumb at all Rissa! My supply just totally boomed in the last 8 hours, I've found it's very helpful to look at pictures of my baby, and I spend time with her in the NICU each time before I pump, which is easy since we are staying in the hospital. I'm going to take fenugreek anyway, just to make sure I keep up the supply! Thank you ladies so much for your suggestions!
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• It sounds like your pump may not be working properly if you are better able to express milk by hand. My pump comes apart so that it can be cleaned. If there is any dust in the actual suction portion of the pump it does not work properly and does not pull the milk down like it should.
    LindsK

Answer by LindsK at 1:18 AM on Dec. 31, 2008