• In the Spotlight:

Do you think only children are lonley??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I do not think so, they don't know any better, but after seeing the way my kids interact with each other (when they have their good moments), I almost feel sorry for only children. When my youngest (4) comes out and says "mom, Allison is my best buddy", it absolutely melts my heart.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 1:57 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I had an only for eight years and thought it was fine. Then I had her brother two years ago. She was always a happy kid, but the difference is incredible. She's even told me it's much better now that her brother is here.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 2:05 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Sometimes I think I'm being selfish my not giving my daughter a sibling to play with.. I think she gets bored at home with just us. She goes to preschool, but it's not the same.. I want her to have someone close to her. We're trying for our second in a couple of months, I'm excited.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:07 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think they are sometimes. My best friend was an only child. But I don't remember her ever being "alone". She ALWAYS had friends over at her house...after school, weekends, summers. She never went more then one or two days by herself. Myself I would spend weeks at a time at her house in the summer, only coming home to change clothes and say hi to my parents (she lived next door).
    She's 27 now and raising an only child and she does things the same way. She is always doing something with someone and is never alone and if she is she is on the phone constantly. Her daughter ALWAYS has someone over to play with at almost all times otherwise she drives the adults in the house crazy because she's bored and doesn't know how to play by herself.
    My kids always have each other to play with.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:10 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Not at all.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 2:16 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Sometimes, but I wasn't an only child and I felt lonely, too. I had a brother and wanted a sister so bad! I have an "only", but she has a best friend she calls her sister... and they really do act like sisters, right down to their fights!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I don't think they get "lonely" maybe more bored than anything else.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 3:06 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Yes. I was an only child I really think it was unfair she didn't have one more child. I vowed to make sure I had at least 2 kids so my kids wouldn't go through that.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 30, 2008