When should I stop putting my daughter down for naps?

She just turned 2 and sleeps about 12-13 hours at night. Is that too much? She also sleeps about 2 during the day.

wheatmeatchips

Asked by wheatmeatchips at 1:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When she stops taking one...
    I still make my almost 3yo take one most days. She really fights us on some and others she goes in and lays down on her own. She sleeps about 10-12 hours a night and will take an hour long nap during the day (sometimes longer). All my kids were like that.
    My 6yo still takes naps. Sometimes I make her take one because she is so cranky all the time and she gets the same amount of sleep at night as the 2yo. And some kids, like my 8yo, don't need naps. She hasn't napped since she turned 2, except when she is sick (which is rare).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:01 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• my son sleeps about that same as yours... dont stop unless they are ready and wont take naps anymore... i tried to cut out the afternoon nap (my son will be 2 in march) and he NEVER makes it thru the whole day, he will get so cranky and even fall asleep while eating dinner....

i would say stop when she just doesnt sleep anymore
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:10 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• my daughter does the same. we are lucky. you will know when she needs less sleep. because she will get your butt up at 5am.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 2:29 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• She'll let you know when she doesn't need them any longer. My 3 year old is currently not sleeping when I lay him down for one...he's pretty much done with naps.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Don't ever stop naps on purpose! Enjoy them! Of course, if they are not sleeping anymore then you....put them down for "rest time"!
    Butterflybabies

Answer by Butterflybabies at 9:25 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Toddlers and preschoolers need 13 to 15 hours of sleep each day. Never take a nap away, let them decide.

When she starts refusing the nap, staying awake and playing the whole time instead, then you can decide if she is ready to drop it or if it just needs to be moved.
    (1) If she is horrible and cranky in the hours before bedtime, she still needs the nap and you will need to adjust the start time to find her new preferred naptime.
    (2) You may need to phrase it as a quiet time or a lay down time. Then she can quietly read a book in bed or nap - her choice.
    (3) When she drops her nap completely, you will need to move bedtime up at least a half hour. She will still need nearly as much sleep as before - she will just get it all at night instead of some of it in a nap.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Oh no...never take a nap away! At some point, they will do it on their own.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 12:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• You are lucky! My daughter will be 2 on January 10 and she fights naps. When she is ready to drop a nap she will but don't take one away. They still need naps.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 1:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My four year old nephew still has to take a nap during the day or he is terrible
    NewMum2007

Answer by NewMum2007 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• When she's ready to stop napping. Most days my two year old takes a 1.5-2 hour nap and sleeps about 12 hours at night.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 12:56 AM on Dec. 31, 2008