Shouldn't a 2 year old boy be able to say SOME words?

One of my nephews will be 2 in a few days. He says nothing but "dada". I mean, nothing. Not bottle, not mama, not blankie, dog, --nothing. I realize not all children speak at the same level at the same time, but my other 3 nephews, and two daughters were speaking in whole sentences by now. His mom seems oblivious, while gossiping about another child who she thinks needs speech therapy...do I say something in a nice way or ignore it as the rest of the family does?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My cousin's third child wasn't speaking according to "milestones". The doctors at first weren't concerned, stating it was due to the older siblings, pacifier use (rare), hearing ok, etc. My cousin was not satisfied and requested further testing. Turns out her child had the mildest form of cleft palate as well as being tongue tied. By age 3 she had been in speech therapy long enough to nearly catch up as far as vocabulary and at 5 only goes for help with enunciation and to help continue stretching the tongue. -- Just something further to think about when pediatricians and specialists are involved -- when everyone works together the child benefits.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 2:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i am going thru the same thing... my son will be 2 in march and says only a few words.. i try to get him to talk constantly but its like he has no interest...just babble...and my neice is only 9 days older and says soooo much....

she is wrong for talking about another child... u could say something to her, but do it nice...babies do their own thing on their own time
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:06 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Are there older siblings? I once knew a little girl that never spoke until she was 3, not b/c she couldn't, just didn't need to. The sibling always tried to interpret for her, the LO was so used to it that she wouldn't talk even when sister wasn't around. She is fine now, and I bet mom and dad wish she would shut up sometimes. LOL
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:08 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• there is an older 8 yr old brother, who is very active in school and after school activities. This is a "privileged" family, most would say, they have a nanny, access to great healthcare, smart people... in some sense it bothers me MORE that they don't seem concerned about their own child when they can clearly recognize speech deficits in other children. Ironically, when I met the child they feel has a speech problem, I didn't notice it at all, only that she seemed a little "young" for her age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Well, every kid is different. My only advice is to make the child say the word for what he wants. but then again you're not the mom, so she needs to be the one doing this.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 2:14 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• you need to figure out a way to casually bring it up like maybe"so when is he starting speech therapy?" then when they act shocked just say"Oh well I just assumed since u noticed it in other kids that u had addressed it w/a professional". The child needs help, before school or he may get teased..
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:14 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• well that could be the problem...maybe no one is talking with him enough and giving him the attention he needs with it....
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:20 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• At 2 years of age, they should be speaking about 50 words and using two word phrases. My two year old is in therapy for a severe speech delay. He didn't say a single word until he was 22 months. My three year old was tested at 15 months and found to have a mild delay. Not enough for therapy. However, he now has a moderate delay...and is also receiving speech therapy.

If possible, try to find a way to bring it up the the mom...it could very well be just him being a little slower than average...or there could be a problem. Better safe than sorry in my book!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I have 3 teenagers that all talked very early I also have 2 toddlers. My son who is 28 months old does not speak at all. I was concerned about that so i googles it. After endless reading and seeing some other things that were not quite right, and i had him evaluated with numerous doctors over at the university. Ive read and read and read to him. He was diagnosed with autism and was told some never talk. I still read to him, talk to him all the time, waiting for that day to come when he says something, never giving up hope. I know that day will come.
    Cal311

Answer by Cal311 at 6:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• At that age, a good place to start, of course is with the pediatric group he is going to and request a hearing evaluation with an audiology group, preferable with experience with toddlers. It's important to rule out hearing impairment from the get go.
    mlynnejans

Answer by mlynnejans at 6:41 AM on Dec. 30, 2008