organizing you home finances

its almost 2009 and once again i was a lazy bum and didint do what i should have but my goal for 2009 is to be more organized when it comes to our finances and how we use our money...my ? is how do yiou do you budget, how is all your important paperwork organized?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Money & Work

• I keep all of our tax information in a binder with sheet protectors, in chronological order, starting with the most recent. It helps to have it all in one spot if I ever need to look it up.

All of the bills get filed in a file cabinet, labeled appropriately with type and year (PG&E 2008, Cell Phone 2008, Car Payments 2008, etc) and at the end of the year they go into ANOTHER file specifically for that bill, where we keep all the files in chronological order. The bills themselves are in no order, they are just kinda in the folder, but I figure hey, at least they are all there!

It sounds like a lot, but once you start doing it, it really is no work at all. And we don't have a file cabinet, we use the drawer in my SO's computer desk.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:22 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• A filing cabinet! It's the best thing in the world for paperwork.
    Kristal24

Answer by Kristal24 at 2:14 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I have a black box that fits file folders in it. I got pretty ones, they cost more but they make it nice to open the box up =) Each folder is for each account we have including bills, banking, insurance, & medical. I also have one of those columnar pads w/ the 4 columns & each page is used for one month, no using front & back. I write down each bill company etc on that we owe, the % rate if there is one applicable to that account. The 1st column is marked for balance, 2nd-due, 3rd- paid (amount i actually paid that month), 4th-notes like if it was automatic payment, check numbers date paid etc. & each page is setup exactly the same so I can easily flip through and understand what I am seeing. The other thing is we have put all of our recurring bills into our bank and we are able to sit down 1-2 times/month & enter in how much we owe & date we want it paid, so no late fees & we know its done.
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 2:25 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I do our monthly budgets in Excel so I can keep track of paydays and what bills need to be paid.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 2:58 AM on Dec. 30, 2008