Wheat Gluten Allergy

I am wondering if any of you have any experience with this allergy, and also:
- What were your symptoms?
- When you started your diet to alleviate the symptoms, did you have any "odd" or surprising side effects from eliminating gluten?
- Any advice on how to stick to the diet?

Iskkra

Asked by Iskkra at 2:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Health

• Is this you or the baby? I have a friend that has that allergy, I could ask her if you don't get any answers, just let me know.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:18 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• This question is for me, to answer Jazak
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 2:19 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Just pm me tomorrow if you don't get any answers, I can get some info from her for you. I know it is very difficult and expensive for her. She even takes her own bread when she goes out to eat.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 2:22 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My son is allergic to gluten and has been on a GF diet for 7 years. His symptoms included stomachaches, alternating diarrhea & constipation, irritability, fatigue, joint pain, skin rash (looks kinda like eczema, but isn't), & behavioral/cognitive issues (think ADHD-like sxs). Coming off the gluten for him made behaviors worse - he craved the gluten - and his GI tract went a little wonkier than usual for a while, but once he was clear of the gluten, he was fine. CONTINUED BELOW...
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Sticking to the diet is difficult at first, but after a few infractions and the consequences that come along with them, you'll probably feel it just isn't worth it to try to cheat on the diet anymore. Also, don't buy substitute foods, instead get alternative foods so your tastebuds won't be expecting the taste & texture they are used to. Because you will be expecting the food to taste different, it will still satisfy you, whereas if it isn't what you "wanted", you will seek out something to satisfy the desired taste and/or texture.
    mom2aspclboy

• Buying special foods can be very expensive, but if you stick to the basics - veggies, fruit, meat & dairy (if you can tolerate it) - it doesn't have to be expensive. The most expensive thing you'll be buying is alternative bread products, but if you learn to make your own, it doesn't have to cost $$$; A bread machine is a wonderful thing to have & many come with GF settings now. There's a really great magazine, called "Living Without" (http://www.livingwithout.com/), that you may want to subscribe to, and I suggest you invest in a cookbook or two from Bette Hagman (Gluten-Free Gourmet), b/c her stuff is excellent.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2008