My dad is a compulsive liar (I think)...do I tell him I know or just let it be?

Long story short...
My dad made this lie up that he has cancer. I called the place he was supposedly going to for radiation and they said they had no patient there by that name. He got really pissed when he found out my stepmom set up a doctor's appointment with his doctor to find out why he's been so "moody" lately (she was worried cancer was not his only problem...she believes the cancer story...she's so gullible). He has lied about having cancer before and he did it to "drive" the woman he was with away. I love him to death, but I catch him in a lie at least every other time I talk to him (I talk to him almost everyday). I don't want to confront him, but I'm tired of pretending to feel sorry for him because he thinks that I think he has cancer. And I don't understand why he would lie to me about something that huge. I don't know if its an attention thing or what. Anyone have any advice of any kind?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Confront him, it is not fair that he is making u live the lie w/him
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:17 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• That's a whopper of a lie! I'd let him know.. and also I'd be wondering why he'd be doing this. Is he old and mixed up?
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 2:20 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• cancer is a big deal and not something you lie about i say call him out it just might be what he needs to straighten his act up but since ya'll are close i would recommend doing it in a compassionate way like one on one instead of in front of everyone you know?
    tasha080808

Answer by tasha080808 at 2:23 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Could it be that he is seeking attention? Why tell a whopper unless he has a reason? Does he need to feel important? Is this something that began in recent years, or has it been going on all your life? Hard to say why, but there must be a reason he is using this tactic.I would gently confront him, and ask him why he feels the necessity to lie to you.
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 2:27 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My sister is a compulsive liar. She has lied about the FBI coming after her, having cancer, having HIV, buying a new car, getting married, being engaged, her ex husband being a doctor, having multiple homes, ect, ect...you name it, she has lied about it. Confronting her did absolutely nothing because in her mind all of these things are real. I wish you luck!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• You might want to start by tellin him that he who cries wolf will soon be eaten by wolves!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• well if you dont want to confront him then just beware. i would definitely say something but if you know he is lying dont give him your sympathy sounds like that is what he is looking for for some reason when he starts his stories tell him you have to go or quickly change the subject so you don't have to hear it.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:46 AM on Dec. 30, 2008