how can i get my son to stop saying "son of a b*itch"?

my 3 1/2 year old son heard someone say "son of a b*itch" and now he says it CONSTANTLY!! he even said it in his sleep! like probably every 5 minutes he says it...like im not exaggerating...its over and over. at first, for the first week i COMPLETELY ignored it, then i said, "that would makes me sad, dont say that" he has never responded to spankings so i do not do that....uhhh i dont know how to have him stop, its been three weeks and its really embarrassing in public and in the home.

jessean

Asked by jessean at 2:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Start punishing him with time out when he says it, and don't ignore it at all. Give him something else to say instead, something fun to say and cute. It'll pass...
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 2:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• No clue dude
    blessifur23

Answer by blessifur23 at 2:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• sorry but i have to admit i find it kind of funny since we had a similar problem with my 2 year old niece except with her it was "oh b*tch" and even worse she got her 1 year old sister saying it too! so my sister and i started watching out mouths more and tell them "no" in a firm voice when they cuss we also give them something else to say such as "oh man" or "oh boy" we even make a gave of it to make the girls laugh so they enjoy saying "oh man" but the key is consistency
    tasha080808

Answer by tasha080808 at 2:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• do you have good replacement word for "son of a b*tch" lol...what sounds similar?
    jessean

Answer by jessean at 3:09 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Uh.. Maybe "Sunny Beach (es) " as a replacement would work (?)
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 3:15 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• thats great!! thank you so much!!!
    jessean

Answer by jessean at 3:25 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• My son started using the word bitch and cow..... I knew if I got mad at him he would do it more.
    So everytime he said bitch I barked like a dog and every time he said cow I moo-ed.
    He stopped that day as he thought I was ridiculous and he didn't get the response he was after.
    We also helped him find other words to use when he is frustrated.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 3:31 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Teach him how to say something else instead, like "son of a cookie" and give him a cracker or cookie each time he says it. Dont run out of crackers! Also continue to ignore the other, and soon he'll tire of it, forget about it hopefully.
    Amy1022

Answer by Amy1022 at 9:33 AM on Dec. 30, 2008