A question for the Christians.

People who don't believe in Jesus aren't saved, so they go to hell. What about people who live where Christianity isn't prevalent? What if people haven't been taught about Jesus do they go to hell too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• it says in the scriptures that if a an knows not god but did good god would take that good unto himsrelf. in other words if a person did not know God but followed his conscience and lived well god would take them to himself
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 4:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• In ways ONLY known to GOD, he can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith.

Those that have NEVER heard of Christ, who have NEVER been taught about Jesus are at NOT at fault...So I believe that God can lead them in his OWN way, a way that is NOT known to us.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:40 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• What about people who have heard of Christ, but had limited exposure? What about a child raised by atheists that hasn't been exposed to Christianity but has heard of it? 
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I'm not trying to argue, I' just trying to reconcile my self with the belief that only Christians are saved. I just can't believe that a good person would go to hell because they weren't taught Christianity.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Is a YOUNG child really at fault??? No. So when does the age of accountability start?? I tend to believe around the age of 16, 17, 18.... (and of course older).

For a the every young it's NOT their OWN fault, but there does become a point and time that we do have to be accountable for what we do (or fail to do) and NOT say....well my parents never taught me any different...

My first post said at NO fault of their own...... If they have "heard" of Christ that means they are NOT totally ignorant like your first post suggested, but they can't be held totally accountable if they die at a young age either, because it's NOT totally their OWN fault.

But as I stated there does become a point in time that they can't just brush it off as well my parents never taught me they were atheist.

SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Scripture also says no one is without excuse before God. All human beings know God in varying degrees because of the witness of creation (Romans 1:20). "What happened to those who believed in God before Jesus?" http://www.gotquestions.org/before-Jesus.html As this says,the basis of salvation has always been the death of Christ. The requirement for salvation has always been faith. The object of one's faith for salvation has always been God. What has changed through the ages is the content of a believer's faith. God's requirement of what must be believed is based on the amount of revelation He has given to a person. God knows their heart. I have heard of missionaries going to tribes deep in the heart of Africa and the tribe leader saying they had been praying for the creator of the moon and stars to send someone to tell them more about "him". They knew not to worship the creation but the creator.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 1:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• To my understanding, Christianity is everywhere. There is a scipture in Romans 1:19, that says "what is known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them." Based on that I don't see an excuse to not know that there is in fact a higher power. (God)

binarystarr

Answer by binarystarr at 1:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• By the time this world has gone through the rapture and tribulation, every single soul on this earth will know who Christ was.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• "it says in the scriptures that if a an knows not god but did good god would take that good unto himsrelf. in other words if a person did not know God but followed his conscience and lived well god would take them to himself"

Can you show me that scripture? Thanks!
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 5:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Most of your answers lead me to believe that Christianity is not for me. I KNOW God loves me. I know it just as surly as anyone.  I am not going to hell.  I have no doubt in my mind about that.

Not everyone is taught about Christianity in the same way. In fact some people are never taught about it.  How can  we all come to the same conclusion when we have different experiences and are not given the same information. Some children are born to Christian parents and go to church every week.  Some children born in foreign countries and never lay eyes on a bible.  Even if at one point they are "exposed" to Jesus, that's not the same opportunity to be "saved."

I'm sorry, but I cannot believe in a faith where people who live good lives go to hell because they haven't been taught something.

Anonymous