Is it too late to breastfeed?

My daughter had a difficult time breastfeeding when she was born. I reluctantly gave her the bottle but I really want to try breastfeeding again. I really wanted us to have all the benefits of breastfeeding and I wish we had that bond. My daughter is almost 5 months old now so I don't know if she'll even take it anymore. If anyone has any advice on what I should do and also how to get my breast milk to come in again, let me know

amberlynsky

Asked by amberlynsky at 3:30 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Once you stopped breastfeeding its really hard to go back and have milk again. And like you said, your daughter is already 5months old, who knows if she will even take the breast again.

BUT you def. need to try it and see if she will take it.
    If you are still "leaking" and produce milk then there is a good chance you can do it again, but if thats not the case, then its going to be hard.

Let me tell you something about the bond you are talking about. I was only able to breastfeed my daughter for 3-4 months, and still only 50% (because i didnt have enough breastmilk). And the bond i have with her now (18months old) is amazing. Since my daughter was born im with her 24/7 (unless my parents want to watch her for a few hours hehe).Nobody could come between me and my little girl, breastfed or not ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 4:33 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• it may not be possible to get your milk back now sorry :o( but remember your daughter loves u and has no idea there is any other way to feed so she isn't "lacing" anything in the bonding dept.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• There are herbs you can try to take, and you can try just pumping several times a day to get it to come back in. (sorry, I don't know what herbs...) However, by the time you start producing, it could be time for her to start on milk.....it does take a while.

I will say...about the bond... I have a wonderful bond with my sons who were formula fed. I never bonded with the oldest son, my first born, until I started formula.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:38 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Get in touch with La Leche League. It is possible, but hard to do. If you really want to then don't let anyone tell you that you can't. La Leche has the resources to help you.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 7:35 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• it's called Relactation and it is possible. Here is a link http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/relactation-resources.html
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 8:29 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• The herb to take is called "Fenugreek". I 've also heard that Mother's Milk tea (or something like that?) is really good. I have personally had a great experience w/ Fenugreek helping to increase my milk. Good luck!
    Janette81

Answer by Janette81 at 8:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I can re-lactate.. I know for some it's hard.. but I can sit here and just think about it.. and my nipples tingle. Gross right? But it's true. (I mean, my baby is 5 months also, and I stopped BF'ing the 1st month) I need to STOP thinking of it because I don't want to lactate again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• ohh. and GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

• It's entirely possible--and worth trying. --I would contact the le leche league and talk to a counselor.
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 9:41 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• So worth trying.. one of the hardest things you will face is that your daughter is used to a bottle and not working for milk, so you have to keep trying. Research different herbs you can take. Call or visit LLL (www.llli.org, I think).
    Best of luck!!!
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:59 AM on Dec. 30, 2008