Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what can i do if my landlord is trying to kick me out and my rent is paid

The water pipes busted and my landlord want get them fix so I haven't had no water or no heat I called the city on her and they still looking into it I have 2 kids my son is 4 months and my daughter is 2 my landlord saind I can move into anthor apartment. But at the last min she chance her mind. I told her I would leave once she give me my money back that I put down on my apartment I never been late 4 my rent and on the 5 they turning my lights off and I pay my on light bill please tell me what to do I have no where ealse to go

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Home & Garden

Answers (5)
  • You need to take her to small claims court which cost a little bit but you can sew for that money back to....and it takes a while... so if I were you... first off... START TALKING PICTURES of how clean or whatever... so she doesn't try to trash things and say you did it or something stupid like that. Next threat her... tell her that what shes doing is wrong and you will be taking her to court, tell her exactly what you are taking her to court for, and appologize... and do it in a very calm tone... Sorry but you are refusing to give me my money back and kicking me out without barely any notice when I have been nothing but a good tendent... I'm going to be taking you to court I just thought you should know so your not surprised when you get the papers in the mail. Saying it in that manner will make her believe you as to where if you got angry or cried... shes going to think you are saying it in the heat of the moment.

    Answer by dtetz at 9:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • Then hope she does believe you and just gives you the money! (Hopefully she has the money to give you in the first place) Did you see if maybe she had another appt you could stay in instead?

    Answer by dtetz at 9:49 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • from what i know if its a major repair they have 48 hours to fix something. do u have all respicts saying you pay rent on time? pluse you have small kids so it is a hurry up and fix kind of thing. its an unliveable appt. and i would talk to the city and ask them who would u call i cant remember the name right now. also look up tenets rights in your area. i did and realized my lanlord is a piece of work. ( i still have no working oven its day13. ) but if you pay on lights why are they turning off? is it because of lanlored? as far as i know they dont give deposits back till u move but u have a ligit reason to move. maybe saying the word court to her will change her mind.

    Answer by tabbys4 at 9:51 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • Go to the city and find out what you can do to pay them (the city) the rent until your landlord gets this taken care of..if you have a lease and have paid your rent then she can not kick you out..if you are month to month (dont have a lease) then there may be little you can do. But make a list of what is wrong, take pictures, present it to the landlord, then go to the courthouse and let them know that this is whats going on and what can you do. Good luck

    Answer by barefootbchbum at 9:52 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

  • i agree pictures and take a pic with a newspaper in it to show the date.

    Answer by tabbys4 at 9:53 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.