What ever happened to telling your kids santa really exists? i talked to a mom who said it was "totally wrong" to lie to your kids about santa

Susanafton42

Asked by Susanafton42 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It's a personal choice. I tell my son that there is a Santa but my best friend tells her kids that there is no Santa.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:54 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• this post actually got me laughing, i was having a conversation w my coworker saying im not to sure if i should even go along with the tooth fairy or easter bunny stories...i most likely will i was just throwing a silly thought out there when the subject came up...but santa, come on, you gotta have santa!!! :)
    cnv13085

Answer by cnv13085 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• Oh, this topic is another can of worms, my kids believed until they caught me red handed when they were over 9 years old, I would have never confessed and they are forever grateful for the magic I created for them....

Answer by older at 8:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• It's a personal choice, just like Jeremysmom said. Personally, I find it harmless and enjoyable and will allow my son to believe in him. I did, and I'm grateful that my parents "lied" to me.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• I say let them enjoy being a kid for as long as possible. Soon enough they will figure out that it is impossible to fly around the world in one delivering gifts. They will probably even call you out on it.
    MsRickie

Answer by MsRickie at 8:55 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• I agree with MsRickie, let kids be kids. My husband and I believe if you buy your kids presents, hide easter eggs etc. then are you not yourself playing the role at Santa, Easter Bunny etc? Our kids enjoy being woken up in the middle of the nite to see 'Santa' putting presents under the tree :)
    rize_above

Answer by rize_above at 9:00 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• We do not do Santa, or the Tooth fairy, or any of that. I don't think it's "evil" to have your kids believe in it though. We just don't...

And, just for the record, a kid can STILL be a kid & have blasts during the holidays without believing in Santa. My family & myself are living proof of it.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• I do Santa. to each their own.
    dakotaNrye

Answer by dakotaNrye at 9:02 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• I have to told them the true story of how Santa came into existence. A man who knew children would have nothing built toys and gave it to the kids for Christmas i cannot remember the year or the country but it was a true story that was then made into a fable. I tell them Santa is anyone who gives a gift. Without expecting any in return
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• Im 25...my mother still tells me santa exists, she puts out cookies and milk and gets me gift from "santa". :) Its a family tradition. I will tell my daughter Santa is real until she questions his existence :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 9:07 PM on Sep. 4, 2011