Should you explain to your child about other kids and teasing before they start kindergarten?

My dd is 5 and starting kindergarten on Tuesday. I am really worried that other kids won’t like her and that she will get made fun of or be the “weird” kid in class. I was that kid when I was little and I am terrified the same thing will happen to her. Her personality is very different from most kids (I think). She is very creative loves playing pretend and talks ALL the time…She is also VERY sensitive about everything. If someone says something she doesn’t like she cries like she is still a toddler. I think her personality is great. I love that she is a little weird like me and her dad. She is 5 and loves The Beatles and classic rock music. She dresses in crazy outfits and dances around and acts like she’s crazy lol….She is a little artist and I think it’s great but other kids can be so freaking cruel…. I have talked to her a little about the fact that she needs to act like a big girl at school. I have also told her that she should not talk unless the teacher tells her it’s ok. I think I am just having normal crazy thoughts about my baby going to school But it makes me wonder if I should sit her down and explain how some kids can be mean and tell her how to respond to them if she gets made fun of??? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Sep. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• i couldnt hurt a single bit, and if you are even the slightest bit worried, you should!
    flowersmama

Answer by flowersmama at 9:10 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• I wouldn't bring it up and give her one more thing to be worried about unless it happens. Kindergarten teachers are used to handling this type of behavior and usually do a great job getting each child included, in my experience.

Answer by missanc at 9:27 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Of course. But it's also important to tell them that it's not appropriate to do it to others.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:48 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Has she been in preschool? I would think she should have some of the social norms down already. If you haven't had her in a classroom setting yet, I would prepare her, because kindergarten is more like first grade and very structured. If she is a distraction/disruption, she will become unpopular fast. Good luck!
    mjande4

Answer by mjande4 at 10:18 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I think she sounds absolutely normal! Dont project your feelings about yourself as a kid onto her! Let her go do her thing, Im sure shell have a great year!
    albionel

Answer by albionel at 11:30 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• She sounds like an exceptionally fun child :) Little kids love excitement, and she seems pretty exciting from the way you describe her. I don't think she'll have a bully problem.
    However, if you still want to get the message across about bullies (which is never a bad idea), this is what I would do:
    Every time you watch a movie, read a book, etc, and notice any form of bullying, talk to her about it. Do it as often as you can.
    For example, in The Ugly Duckling, ask her, "How do you think the duckling felt when the other ducks made fun of him? What would you do if you were there? Would you make fun too? Or would you go play with the 'ugly' duckling?"

This will make her stop and think about it. Most kids don't unless they're talked to about it. If you keep bringing it up, she always put herself in the other person's shoes and she'll see the bullies in her school as not even worth listening to.
    Hope this helps :)
    AmbrosiaEssex

Answer by AmbrosiaEssex at 12:12 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Yes
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 1:14 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I think you should wait until after her first day of school. You talking to her before a incident has even occur may increase some anxiety. We can't help who we are. This goes for all age groups after the baby/infant/toddler time frame. Life experiences mole us into what we become down the road. Your little one sounds adorable. Any kids that have a issue with her personality has some personal issues of their own;Most likely brought on by adults in their lives. I share your fear momma, but there are some things we can't allow to consume us.
    LanaisSky96

Answer by LanaisSky96 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I would definitely discuss it. I will when the time comes for my son to start school.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:10 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• Actually, though, as LanaisSky said, I'd wait until after the first day just to see how it goes and to not increase any anxiety. She may very well not be the "weird kid".
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 6:11 PM on Sep. 5, 2011