OMG this is so sad do you think he should be charged I do

Father of 11-year-old hypothermia victim charged
TWIN FALLS, Idaho – The father of an 11-year-old girl who died, likely of hypothermia, after trying to walk 10 miles in the snow on Christmas Day has been charged with second-degree murder and felony injury to a child.

Robert Aragon, 55, of Jerome, made an initial appearance Monday in 5th District Court, where Judge Mark Ingram appointed a public defender for him. The judge denied Aragon's request to lower his $500,000 bond. He was being held in the Blaine County Jail.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081230/ap_on_re_us/hypothermia_death

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Dec. 30, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• That was a very bad decision on the father's part and he should be held accountable.
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 9:53 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think it was a tragic mistake and he did not think it was that bad probably, he just didn't think. To be charged with murder, no. It wasn't his intent to kill. Maybe involuntary manslaughter.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Wow. How sad! How stupid! What was he thinking??? I think he's suffering the worst possible punishment already. He should be charged with something; I'm just not sure what.
    Debbie062008

Answer by Debbie062008 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• While it was a horrible decision to let the kids walk in those conditions, I don't know that I agree that he should be charged with murder. I would be surprised if the DA could get a conviction of murder either. When I was younger I lived where there were conditions like these during the winters and it's easy to underestimate the temps and your ability to do things you normally do. That being said, I would never let my kids walk in the snow toward their destination 10 miles away. He exhibited horrible judgement, but is paying an awful price (as is the rest of his family).

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:29 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I agree Its just so sad
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think he should be charged unless he was mentally retarded you don't send a child out in the freezing cold TO GO TEN MILES!!!!! If she ran away that's different but still he could go after her, BUT it was her decision but it sounds like he sent her out??? correct me if I am wrong.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I think he should be charged with something but like others not sure what at this point. We haven't heard his reasoning to know if he was sane in this decsion or just not thinking at all. I would not do this to my kids. That's our reason for carrying heavy sleeping bags with us in the winter plus a few other items non perishable food items and always carry water. If you live in areas of bad weather always be prepared for the unexpected.
    debj49

Answer by debj49 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Wow...that is a hard one. I think it was HORRIBLE judgment, but I don't think his intentions were ever to kill his children.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• looks to me like it was the daughter who started it correct me if im wrong but i don't think the dad ment for her to die. But ya know the news makes it look the way they want it to not the way it was actually done.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I don't think he should be charged with murder, I think it was very poor judgement on the dad's part but I don't think he wanted his daughter to die. He should be charged with child endangerment though.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:47 AM on Dec. 30, 2008