my sisters 18 month old son has the mumps... i heard its very it safe for them to visit around my 9 month olds and five year old???

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I would say no because i do believe if you have already had them your fine but if you have not then you can get them just like the chicken poxs so i would say deff not

Answer by tracy0711 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• Well, I wouldn't risk it with children so young. I just had the mumps in May.....quite strange considering I was vaccinated and received the booster in high school. Anyway, your little ones would be much more sensitive than me and I was quite uncomfortable as a 32 year old. The problem is......the incubation period can be weeks, so chances are, your kids were already exposed. I just wouldn't go out of my way to put them together. If they haven't had contact, then wait until about 10-12 days after symptoms began and the child should no longer be contagious.

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• No, it's not safe.

Answer by missanc at 9:25 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• No it isn't safe.

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I would say NO

Answer by meooma at 12:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I would say no. If it where anything else, I still would say no. Your 5 yr old would probably tolerate mumps okay, but it could be very dangerous for your 9 mo old. Even if your 5 yr old has been vaccinated, I still would not take the risk. He could bring it home to your 9 mo old.

As someone already stated, its possible that your kids have already been exposed. I'm all for natural immunity, but call your ped and let him know, perhaps he can take a look at your kids and see if they have already picked it up.

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• BridgetC140,

The reason you caught it, is because your supposed to receive a booster every 10 yrs. Although now that you have had it, your good. Natural immunity in a normal healthy person is life long once they have had mumps.

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• It is very contagious and can cause sterility in males . One reason for vaccinating agaainst it .

Answer by janet116 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• not unless you want them to get mumps. Didn't you get your kids vaccinated.
    Ours go MMR as one of the Measles, mumps, and ruebella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:58 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Not everyone can take the shots. I would just stay away. Nothing is 100% anyway. My son had a seizure after the MMR and will never get another shot as long as I live. Not worth the risk.

Answer by sweetangie79 at 5:47 AM on Sep. 12, 2011