Mumps

my sisters 18 month old son has the mumps... i heard its very contagious.....is it safe for them to visit around my 9 month olds and five year old???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Sep. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I would say no because i do believe if you have already had them your fine but if you have not then you can get them just like the chicken poxs so i would say deff not
    tracy0711

Answer by tracy0711 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• Well, I wouldn't risk it with children so young. I just had the mumps in May.....quite strange considering I was vaccinated and received the booster in high school. Anyway, your little ones would be much more sensitive than me and I was quite uncomfortable as a 32 year old. The problem is......the incubation period can be weeks, so chances are, your kids were already exposed. I just wouldn't go out of my way to put them together. If they haven't had contact, then wait until about 10-12 days after symptoms began and the child should no longer be contagious.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:37 PM on Sep. 4, 2011

• No, it's not safe.

Answer by missanc at 9:25 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• No it isn't safe.
    sweetpotato418

Answer by sweetpotato418 at 10:10 AM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I would say NO
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:50 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• I would say no. If it where anything else, I still would say no. Your 5 yr old would probably tolerate mumps okay, but it could be very dangerous for your 9 mo old. Even if your 5 yr old has been vaccinated, I still would not take the risk. He could bring it home to your 9 mo old.

As someone already stated, its possible that your kids have already been exposed. I'm all for natural immunity, but call your ped and let him know, perhaps he can take a look at your kids and see if they have already picked it up.

daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:29 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• BridgetC140,

The reason you caught it, is because your supposed to receive a booster every 10 yrs. Although now that you have had it, your good. Natural immunity in a normal healthy person is life long once they have had mumps.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:31 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• It is very contagious and can cause sterility in males . One reason for vaccinating agaainst it .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 10:46 PM on Sep. 5, 2011

• not unless you want them to get mumps. Didn't you get your kids vaccinated.
    Ours go MMR as one of the Measles, mumps, and ruebella
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:58 AM on Sep. 6, 2011

• Not everyone can take the shots. I would just stay away. Nothing is 100% anyway. My son had a seizure after the MMR and will never get another shot as long as I live. Not worth the risk.
    sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 5:47 AM on Sep. 12, 2011